I love reading what all you folks share. It's so helpful. My husband and I and another couple are coming to Vieques Jan 28-Feb 4. I have been reading EVERYTHING I could find for months, including the blog and a local publication and feel like Vieques is a home I have never been to. I sure hope it turns out that way. We've rented the house through Rainbow and the jeeps through Martinez. I also have my handy-dandy 34 pages of free-flow researched info cut and pasted from the internet, including everything from reviews in this forum to maps from the US Navy. I research just because that's the way I'm wired, but also because I can't stand it when everyone looks at each other and says, "what do you want to do?" and the next one says, "I don't know - what do you want to do?". I want to avoid that dilemna. While I am a "research hound" and love having read all about the place I am visiting, I actually can just wing it when I get there, but I don't want to miss anything, so we're trying to figure out just how much stuff we can cover while still being "beach potatoes" some days. Having said all this, here are some of my questions:
1. I really want to go sailing (have never been) & Captain Jay was kind enough to call me when I emailed him and while his boats sound like a good choice, do you folks who have been or live there think it's a good choice to go sailing with him?
2. I am dying to try standup paddleboarding (yes, I am older and out of shape, but was athletic in my day) - is it easy enough for a novice to try?
3. What time of day should we plan on heading out for dinner? We are early eaters and like to avoid the biggest crowds at supper if we can.
4. Should we go with Abe's or with Garry at Vieques Adventure Co. to the bio-bay? Is there sufficient parking where we meet for this adventure or should we get there extra early?
5. Similar question on renting kayaks? First of all, who should we rent from and is it worth it to have a guide for at least our first time out snorkeling or should we strike out on our own? We are fine with either, but want to have the best experience possible.
6. Please tell me which beaches you all think we should not miss.
Thanks for reading all this and for any replies I get. Can't wait for this trip - it's for our 20th anniversary. I'm praying the weather in Charlotte, NC will be fine for us to leave and return - NO SNOW! NO ICE! Looking forward to being in Vieques!