1. MARATHON: Rotary Field of Dreams MM 52, oceanside (75th Street and U.S. 1)
Your children will be talking about this large playground for a long time to come. It offers a wooden replica of Thomas the Train, plus plenty of tunnels, swings, and a sandbox with a toothy, make-believe shark. There is plenty for toddlers and older kids.
2. Key Colony Beach MM 53.5: http://www.keycolonybeach.net/citymap.html
7th Street, children's playground (annexed off of the City public golf coarse) offers the following equipment: sliding boards, swings, merry-go-round, tetherball, dome gym climber, swinging bridge, see-saws and spring hobby horses. Not to mention the public restrooms.
3. public fishing pier on ocean at KCB Cabana Breezes restaurant (next to Cabana Club)
4. Marathon's Sombrero Beach (MM50) with fishing pier, oceanside (Turn off U.S. 1 at Sombrero Beach Blvd. (in between the TWO grocery stores- Publix & Winn Dixie), and drive to the end). This 12.6-acre beach is one of the most popular stops in Marathon for good reason. The beach was renovated in 2003 with creative landscaping and other amenities. It offers walkways, picnic areas and a roped off swimming area. Sombrero Beach in Marathon is a nice public beach; it has lots of sand, palm trees, great bathrooms, and gorgeous sunsets off the far end of the beach during the winter months. There are also mangrove islands nearby that are great fun to kayak through. You can call and arrange for Marathon Kayak to deliver kayaks to the beach.
Marathon's Sombrero Beach (MM 50)- public fishing pier on ocean at Sombrero Beach Rd.
5. Dolphin Research Center
Educational and research center offers swim with dolphin programs. Reserve in advance.
6. Theatre of the Sea - Marine animal park offers swim programs with dolphins and other sea animals.
7. Nature Center of Crane Point Hammock
http://www.cranepoint.net/ Museum of natural history and wild bird center in 63-acre park.