We are just back from a short combination business/pleasure trip to Barbados. Our meetings were held at the Dover Beach so we stayed there for five nights as well.
The Dover Beach is at the quieter end of the St. Lawrence Gap. It is walking distance from a couple of convenience stores, and some great restaurants including Bellini's and Pisces, and a short cab ride to the other end of the Gap for shopping and places like Champers. The location is a little quieter - you listen to the waves crashing at night rather than loud music, which is fine by me. The hotel is right on the water, with a beach on one side, and lovely sunsets. it is also a short ride to the airport.
We stayed in an ocean view room (204), which overlooked the pool and had a view of the water. The room was large enough for two to stay comfortably, with enough storage for clothing and toiletries. The bathroom had a combined tub and shower. Sometimes the water wasn't very hot, but then you don't really need a hot shower in a place like Barbados. The room also had a decent kitchen, with full size fridge and gas cooktop, toaster, kettle, and dishes, cutlery, and pots and pans. It was easy to do a good breakfast in the room each morning, and it would have been easy to do lunches or dinners if we had wanted. We brought a few things with us, but the little market up the street was very well stocked. The room was kept very clean, and the balcony overlooking the water was lovely for breakfast in the mornings or a glass of wine in the evening. There are little birds that visit whenever you go out - they are cute and very obviously well fed. The only "complaint" for me was that the king bed in the room was two singles pushed together, which sometimes meant a well in the middle of the bed, but we slept well and it wasn't a major issue.
We didn't use the facilities at the hotel much other than for our meetings. There is an internet centre, for which there is a charge. There is also free wifi in public areas, and we were able to get on it from the balcony of the room as well, although it only worked intermittently the last three days we were there. There was no charge for local phone calls from the room, which is really helpful for making restaurant reservations, or confirming tour bookings. The staff is great - from Rosita who went out of her way to make sure we got an ocean view room when we booked, to the women who cleaned, to the fellows who set up for our meetings, and the office staff who were always willing to call for a cab or a restaurant reservation. We also had lunches catered by the restaurant for the two days of meetings, and the food was tasty.
If you are looking for a five star resort with all the trimmings, the Dover Beach isn't for you. But if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, and affordable Barbados hotel in a great location (and with the friendliest staff around), this is definitely the right place.
- Also Known As:
- Dover Beach Christ Church
- Hotel Dover Beach
- Dover Beach Hotel Barbados
- Dover Beach Hotel Barbados/Christ Church Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This family-owned, friendly hotel is nestled away from the hustle and bustle of the St. Lawrence Gap. We feature a beautiful pool and sun-deck, and rooms with panoramic views of the ocean or tropical gardens. Renovated in 2007, all suites/studios are air-conditioned with double or twin beds. Rooms feature full kitchenettes, stove, fridge, telephone, radio, in-room safe, cable television, full bathroom, private balcony and daily housekeeping service. Perfect for families, weddings, honeymooners, teams and groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Regatta Hotels, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Dover Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.