This is our second trip to the Majestic Colonial.
The bottom line is that while we would still recommend the resort, they are slipping a bit and you should know the pros and cons. In my opinion the MC doesn't quite earn its current ranking on Tripadvisor.
We were scheduled for a swim up room, arriving only 4 days after the fire. Our travel agent called us about the fire and offered to switch us at no charge to the Secrets Royal Beach. We decided to go ahead and switch.
After the first day at SRB, we realized we would rather be at the Colonial, even with the fire issues. You can read my SRB review when I get that posted to see the reasons why.
We took the cab to the Colonial and upon checkin we were taken to our room which was a swim-up in the "closed" section of the pool, right across from the burnt out swim-up bar. We couldn't even swim up at our swim up room! We complained and did the trek back to the lobby with the bellhop and our luggage. They informed us they would put us in a pool view room on an upper floor, and two days later we finally moved into the swim up room that we originally paid for. The Colonial compensated us for our problems by giving us a resort credit.
One of my complaints is tha they would have happily given us the poor swimup room that wasn't a swimmable swim up room, had we not complained. Let's see -- we paid EXTRA for that swim up room, yet we have to ask to get what we pay for?
OK, enough of our "special" situation.
Why you should go:
* The best thing about the MC IMHO is the beach. Wide, smooth, turquoise, with quite a lot of chairs and palapas. Probably the best beach in Punta Cana.
* The grounds are very nice (except for the fire damage).
* The pool is very nice.
* The rooms look very nice.
Why you should hesitate:
* The buffet food is mediocre and we are not foodies. We don't drink and we eat only in the buffet, so I can't comment on the drinks or the restaurants.
* The buffet service is adequate but not personal. There are plenty of staff in the eating areas, but smiles and personal attention are fairly rare. There were often 3 people near the entrance and we walked by without so much as a greeting, and we had to seat ourselves. This is a particular contrast to the Secrets Royal Beach where we spent two nights. We tend to eat late, and while they have ice cream, eating in the last hour of the night always means that the chocolate sauce container is empty, and is never refilled (not a rare situation - happened every night). Just another example of service ethic that isn't quite where it could be, or where it should be for a top 10 ranked hotel in Punta Cana.
* The rooms look nice, but the maintenance level seems to be slipping. In both rooms we had, the mirrors were stained, the bed mattresses were horribly saggy, and little things were off (the toilet dispenser loose, one room the wired internet didn't work, etc. The rooms have older CRT TVs.
I'd say that if you want a great beach and fair service and food, the Colonial is your place. Just know the pros and cons before you go. I would have given them 3 stars rather than four, but the excellent beach adds a star.
We would go again, but may look at other options for our next trip.
Unfortunately you can't reserve a pool view category room. You either get a swimup which guarant...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
29 April 2012
Report response as inappropriate
It is a truly pleasure know you had good time with us and consider come back to our resort and thank you to take the time and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service. We are sorry if you felt affect for any inconvenience encounter in our restaurants and the room during your stay with us.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and facilities in general.
We thank you and hope to be your home in Punta Cana for next visit.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC