My partner and I stayed at LaSource between Mar. 17th and the 31st. First impressions weren't great, when asked whether the king bed in the room was ok, we were given the cold shoulder. Let me just state that LaSource was and is labelled gay friendly. Past the judgement of the front desk staff we faired much better.
We travelled from Calgary and we'd been in a plane since midnight, we arrived at LaSource at approx. 3pm. Let me just state after traveling all night all I wanted was a good meal, a drink and a bed. While checking in and unpacking we discovered we missed afternoon tea, if you want to have dinner at 5 or 6, forget it, dinner starts at 7:30pm. Before I forget, upon arrival you are given some reading material and forms to fill out. If you do not read this material prior to exploring the resort you will be lost. I asked one of the staff that were clearing the tables from afternoon tea where I could get some water or fruit juice, he explain to me that I could get a beverage at the lobby bar. I approached the bartender and asked for a fruit juice and he promptly and rudely stated that the bar didn't open till 6pm. The initial fellow I asked heard what was going on and had several (heated) words with the bartender. After a minute of these two guys bickering in a different language I walked away. We found that the bar by Oscars was open and decided to try there, if you are not forceful about asking for something you are going to wait a while. Tipping isn't necessary? Midway through our two week stay We tipped the ones that treated us well and let me tell you, we got service and they knew us by name from that point forward.
Now for the rest of the resort...the beach was nice, not as nice as some we've seen but very pleasant, the spa and treatments were average, the food was very good if you stuck with fish and shell fish, I had chicken at Oscar's on a couple of occasions and it was REALLY dry. If you have a shellfish allergy (like myself) the Great House has a better selection than Oscars which is mostly shellfish. We had an ocean view room with a deck and the rooms were always clean, again, we tipped the house keeping staff everyday and not only did they appreciate it, so did we. We did a few of the classes (Tai Chi, Aquatone, golf, sailing and snorkeling) and they were all very good.
If you are flying Air Canada we really recommend the all day tour of the island this was definitely the highlight of our trip.
If you plan on going to Grenada ask for Bertrand the cab driver, we asked him to take us on a little drive around and he took us to the university grounds, showed us what St.Georges is like on a Friday night, their stadium and will even take you restaurant or lounge for a beverage. If you prefer to be dropped off he'll give you a cellphone and you just call him when you're ready to be picked up.
Overall LaSource is run down in many areas, but looking past the physical appearance of the resort, we loved the people, the quietness and the knowledge we acquired of the island. I'm certain we will not visit LaSource again, but would I recommend it to others? Sure, just don't expect a 4.5*, in my opinion I would rate it a 3.5*
- Also Known As:
- Lasource Grenada Hotel St. George`s
- Lasource Grenada St Georges
- Lasource Grenada Hotel
- Sandals LaSource Grenada Saint George Parish
- La Source Grenada
- Grenada La Source
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandals LaSource Grenada is an exotic, unspoiled hideaway that offers a romantic, authentic Caribbean experience while providing the Luxury Included amenities and exceptional service that have come to be associated with the Sandals Resorts experience. Known as the "Spice Isle," Grenada is a mesmerizing island with some of the most incredible natural wonders in the Caribbean from stunning beaches and waterfalls to lush rainforests and pristine mountain lakes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Otel, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals LaSource Grenada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.