We just returned from our second trip to Jamaica/Riu Palace. Have to say it was just as good as the first time.
We brought our 3 teenage kids with us this time and they had a blast. We rented jet skis a couple of times and they made use of the non-motorized equipment from the hotel.
We found the food to be very good- no issues and the kids (who can be picky) never went away hungry.
Jerk chicken for lunch is always wonderful - the kids want me to find a recipe and make it for them here.
We went to YS Falls and the kids & my SO did the zip lining down the falls as well as the swing rope into one of the natural pools. It was nice there but I personally felt not worth the 2 hour drive each way - the entire day was wasted.
We took them to Rick's and they liked that (although they were a little upset with us for not letting them jump off the "high jump") but they did jump several times from the smaller jump and Rick's divers were interesting to watch.
We all like the traffic of the beach vendors - some of the singers are very talented and really fun to listen to. As for the vendors selling things - we realize they are just trying to make a living and do not find them "intolerable" as some other posters obviously did. A simple no thank you and you would get a "no problem Mon" response and they would go on their way. Hard to really find anything to complain about when you're in JAMAICA @ a beautiful resort with warm clear beautiful water with a gorgeous beach.
Monday - Saturday from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. the piano player in the lobby bar is not to be missed - he is fantastic - I can't wait to get back there just to sit and listen to him play.
We had an ocean view room in block 1 on the end so the beach was literally a 2 minute walk away which was great - a little longer to the buffet and pool - but we're not "pool people" and trust me with the food/desserts they prepare you need to walk it off. LOL
Both of our rooms were always cleaned nicely and fridge was stocked daily. And trust me the kids room looked like a bomb went through it daily and their cleaning lady did a great job of putting it back together again and yes we tipped her well for it!
As for tipping - yes we feel very strongly about tipping and we literally tipped everyone all week. They work very hard there and from what I have gathered for information are not paid that well so tips help to supplement their small incomes.
If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.
Also Sage and Mario in the dining room - AWESOME! Loved them! Can't wait to see them again soon!
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.