Visited February 17 2012 to March 2 2012 this was are first time to the Caribbean and travelling with Virgin which was not a great experience but that's something else. We got the helicopter transfer which was great and arrived earlier than expected so are room was not ready so ended up getting an upgrade but to what no one could tell us we were somewhere between 2 levels of service.
The room was clean, well presented with stocked fridge tea/coffee, the bed was comfortable and we had a reasonable view of the Atlantic from the balcony.
We found that the staff were really friendly and there were the few that stood out from Neville the Devil, Dumplyn, Thyan in the entertainment crew to Jimmy that hangs out at the Island Routes desk at the beach and one can not forget the bar staff Neil was one of the only ones who knew how to mix a good 'Island Paradise'.
Dinning is of a good to high standard and the quality of the service was very good, the only exception we found was in Toscanini's (the white glove service one) where on more than one occasion the server came with the next course before the previous course was cleared pushed the plates down and didn't clear the plates. Also at breakfast when the plates were cleared from your table they were stacked between you and the view of the beach.
It is great that you have access to the water sports and the staff are good but there was no health and safety info this was our first time out snorkelling from a boat in deep water. We were out as a party of 8 in what was not the best conditions when one person got caught out by the boat that drifted into her she was very panicked at NO STAGE did any of the crew try to give any assistance until I got the person to the back of the boat then insisted that I got on-board before the very very panicked lady. No staff made any enquiry as to the well-being of this lady at any stage. I e-mailed the Manager (Winston Anderson) regarding this and got the following response ' The feedback regarding the snorkeling and sailing trip is of great concern as there was most likely a compromise in the safety procedure. When I received your email, I immediately spoke with the Watersports Manager. Watersports activities are part of the all inclusive package offered at Sandals Resorts and proper safety checks and procedures must be adhered to. I am relieved that everyone was safe in the end, however it could have turned out far worse. As the leader of this team, let me reassure you this could never happen again. We hope to provide an experience for all our guests, that is exciting, fun and above all safe.'
St Lucia itself was beautiful and found the people to be really friendly, met Brutus on the beach selling speedboat tours he is a good guy. We went on two trips via island routes do not go on the ATV tour it was hopeless and not worth the money and the other was the Catamaran Soufriere Adventure Cruise it is well worth it.
We did enjoy our stay and would go back but thought that it was to expensive as over all it just didn't make 5 star.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa And Beach Resort
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel Gros Islet
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel
- Sandals Grande St Lucia
- Sandals Grande St Lucian
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort St. Lucia/Gros Islet
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •301 room, 17 acre resort combines historic British & French flavor•Pigeon Island, home to our annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival, combines historic British & French flavor that unfolds at Sandals•Offers exotic island & international culinary temptations at seven dining options •Ocean & beach view accommodations •Caribbean Sea•A lagoon swim-up pool where guests can swim right up to their patio ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Amex, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.