This review is a reflection of the hotel and its service. I am not commenting on things out of their control, such as the beach, and weather. We had issues from the start, I am enclosing an email correspondence sent by us, during and after out trip to the management at the Westin. You will see in the first email there were issues on check in, and from there forward nothing got better. We ignored the reviews on Tripadvisor because we were utilizing rewards points for our stay, I will never make that mistake again, my wife and I would rather pay to stay some where better. Names have been removed from the emails to protect their privacy.
I wanted to let you know that our stay at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort in St. Martin has been disappointing. The service level has been way below the usual Westin standard, and has caused my family and I to spend extra time just to ensure simply amenities are taken care of. Below is a list of issues we have already encountered in just 3 days at the Westin:
· At check in on Saturday the room was not available and we had to wait over an hour until the room was available
· Requested a roll away bed on Saturday shortly after check-in, which required calling the concierge 4 times throughout the day. The bed finally came around 10PM after repeatedly being told the bed was on its way.
· The shower curtain in the main hallway (guest bathroom) had mold along the bottom. We had to call the concierge to get replaced even after the housekeepers had cleaned the room on Sunday and apparently overlooked the mold.
· We only had 1 phone in the entire 3 bedroom suite, which was barely functioning. It was very difficult to hear out of the receiver and we called the concierge a few times to get the phone replaced and other phones be brought in. They ended up replacing the phone but did NOT bring any other handsets. We are currently functioning on 1 phone.
· We wanted to order food the first day we got here and there was no room service menu in the suite. We had to call the concierge 3 times and finally hours later the menus were sent up to the room.
· When we finally checked in to the room, the toilet in the main hallway (guest bathroom) was clogged. It took numerous calls to get anyone to plunge the toilet and finally 3 days later they sent a crew up to investigate the issue. It turned out a key card was jammed in there by a previous guest.
· After getting the toilet fixed, we requested that the maid service come clean the bathroom. It was a mess after maintenance had fixed the toilet. We called the concierge around 2PM before leaving, when we got back after dinner (9PM) the bathroom was still a mess (no one had come to clean it). We ended up cleaning the bathroom ourselves so we could get the children showered and ready for bed.
· We formally requested to speak to the manager on duty (on Saturday night) after being very unhappy with the service. He came to our room and said he would take care of our issues. Slowly they started addressing the open issues but more and more issues keep appearing.
These issues have made it very difficult on everyone, especially with 2 children on the trip (2 and 3 years old). Being a platinum SPG member and staying at SPG properties weekly, I am surprised and concerned about the service level at this resort. Westin has always had a high level of customer service but that seems to be lacking at this resort. Just the fact that I have to spend the time to send this email during my vacation to inform you of the issues is disappointing. I have always choose SPG properties for my travel (over Marriot, Hyatt, etc.) but this trip has me second guessing that decision.
I would appreciate hearing back from you and letting the management staff at the hotel know that the issue with the service level needs to be addressed.
Its sad to say that I have to spend my vacation (once again) to follow up my previous emails with more issues with the Westin St. Martin. Today, we left our hotel in the morning to explore the island, when returning back in the late evening (~9PM) we walked into the condo and noticed house keeping had never come in to make any of the beds, remove and replace the old towels, clean the floors, take out the trash, etc. Everything was exactly the way it was from the night before. Since we are traveling with small children we were not able to request housekeeping to come clean the place (as should be the normal daily occurrence) late at night, since the kids were put directly to bed. As an SPG platinum member who stays weekly in SPG properties, this is alarming that a Westin property could miss cleaning a guest room condo.
I walked down to the front desk and had them bring down the on call manager. The manager (G) spoke with us and apologized for this issue. He said he would contact the GM and have him get in contact with us tomorrow morning.
The service can simply not continue to be this poor. I would appreciate hearing back from you about what actions have been taken to address these concerns.
It’s been a couple of weeks since the stay at the St. Martin Westin, and I haven’t heard from anyone in regards to any refunded points for the stay. Per my conversation with S (at checkout), a follow up email was going to be sent detailing the actions the Westin was going to take for the issues encountered during the stay.
I would appreciate hearing back on this matter.
Dear Mr. S
Once again thank you for your patience in resolving this matter. I just got off the phone with SPG and I have cancelled one of your awards for 7 nights which was used for your stay. I do believe you had two reservations made at the resort which was combined when we placed you in the condo’s.
I have gone over the service defects that you encountered with several of my managers and we will take corrective measures to resolve them and bring our service standards to the Westin brand which you as a valued Platinum member is used to.
I do hope in the near future you would give us a second chance and visit us here in St Maarten.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need anything further
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten Hotel
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort And Spa, St. Maarten
- Westin St Maarten Martin
- Westin St Maarten
- St Maarten Martin Westin
- Westin St Martin
- Westin St. Maarten/St. Martin
- St. Maarten/St. Martin Westin
- Westin St Maarten Dawn Beach Resort & Spa
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten St Maarten-St Martin, Caribbean
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most beautiful Caribbean beaches, The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten offers guests a true getaway. Scuba dive, take a ferry to Anguilla for the day, or just relax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Tingo and Otel so you can book your The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.