Here’s what we liked about Live Aqua:
1. It was clean and well-maintained.
2. The staff was courteous and accommodating and provided excellent service. About a month before we arrived, I contacted the concierge about some questions. In my email I indicated that we were coming to celebrate my wife’s 40th birthday. On our first night, the resort sent up a bottle of Champagne and a special birthday cake. That was a very nice gesture and great touch!
3. Siete is a very good restaurant for breakfast. We ate something different every day.
4. L’aarkesh is an excellent restaurant. For us, it had the best food of all the restaurants.
5. The beach accommodations were great. We had no problems getting chairs for our group of 4 couples to sit together.
Here’s what we felt Live Aqua needs to improve upon:
1. Having rooms ready for check in at 3:00 pm – We arrived at 1:30 pm and checked in. We were told our rooms would not be ready until 3:00 pm. No problem; we ate lunch at Siete and walked around the resort to get familiar with it. At 3:00 pm we came back to get a room but we were told it wasn’t ready yet. One couple did get their room at that time so we went to their room to change clothes. At 3:30 pm, we checked on our room but were told it still wasn’t ready. After we complained, they assigned us a room. The rooms should be ready at check-in time. This was the most disappointing part of our trip.
2. Aromatherapy in the lobby – Other travelers have complained about the aromatherapy in the lobby. It was overpowering at times. Fortunately, we only ventured to the lobby at check-in and at check-out. Other than the lobby, I did not notice an overwhelming aroma in other parts of the resort/hotel.
3. Drink availability – The resort advertises top-shelf liquor. That is misleading. They have top-shelf liquor but not enough. We found that the Azur bar, the AKA bar, the Egos bar, and the “swing” bar near the beach all ran out of Tangeray at different times. Except for Jose at the “swing” bar on our first day, the bartenders made no attempt to get another bottle. They only offered lower quality liquor. It became a running joke in our group that we would get a couple drinks with Tangeray and then the bar would run out. At one point, at the AKA bar, the bartender told us they sent their only partial bottle of Tangeray to the Egos bar. It amazed me that the bartenders resorted to sharing the same bottle in such a high quality resort.
4. Drink quality – I understand that bartenders are going to have some variability in the way they make drinks. However, when we asked for a lime daiquiri with Captain Morgan, the bartenders did not know what to do. They even questioned us on whether we really wanted rum in a daiquiri. A daiquiri is a rum drink. They need to learn to make the basic drinks.
5. Beer – The resort only offered Dos Equis. I knew that going in because other travelers on TripAdvisor.com had already stated that. However, the beer is draft and, especially at the outdoor bars, it is warm. I don’t like warm beer. I drank it the first day, got a headache that night, and avoided it for the rest of my stay. My attempt at getting lime daiquiris was not that good, either. See above.
6. MB – The MB restaurant was not impressive. We loved the L’aarkesh and Siete and the Azur was okay but among the 4 couples we traveled with, we universally did not like the MB. Maybe we were just too redneck to appreciate the food but we didn’t like it.
7. Azur menus and service – We were not offered menus at Azur until we asked several times. Also, we asked for bottled water 2-3 times before the server got it for us. This was the only experience we had with poor service during our stay.
8. Seating for 8 – At the restaurants (except for Siete on our first day), they did not try to accommodate our party of 8 (4 couples). We were disappointed that except for L’aarkesh on our last night, that we had to sit at separate tables in for lunch and dinner. Again, this was not a big problem considering our large group; it was an inconvenience.
Overall, all 4 couples had a great time at Live Aqua. We would recommend it.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC