I used to live in Winnipeg and have been to the CanadInns Fort Garry for meals at the restaurant many times, but we had never stayed in the hotel before. We came back this weekend to visit family and friends and decided to stay here instead of with relatives so our kids and their cousins could use the pool. What a mistake!
I made our reservation by telephone a few weeks in advance, but when we arrived they had no record of our reservation and were quite snarky about it ("Are you sure you're at the right hotel?") We should have taken this as a sign of bad things to come and gone elsewhere while we had the chance. They did, however, have kid's theme suites still available so we checked in and since it was late we wanted to put the kids straight to bed.
Immediately upon entering the room (114) we noticed a bad smell in the room. We were all tired and hoped it would dissipate, but it never did. There were several brown stains on the carpet which I HOPE were chocolate, but they formed a trail from the bed to the bathroom door so the possibility alone is pretty creepy. The next day we were out of the hotel, and when we returned (the room had been cleaned in our absence) there was something brown smeared on the wall that was not there when we left that morning. I went to the front desk and asked for a new room (it still smelled bad). The woman at the desk gave me a key to another room (108) and told me to go take a look at it and then come back and let her know if we wanted to change rooms. We had a party to go to right away and were in a hurry to leave, but I gave the new room a quick look and it seemed better - the carpet was cleaner and it didn't stink. My husband and I moved all our stuff to the new room and we went out for the evening.
When we returned that night, we tucked the kids in their bunks and got ready for bed. When I pulled the covers back I saw BLOOD stains on the bedspread! Ewwww! I immediately called the front desk and they brought some new linens (which we had to change ourselves) but they did volunteer to comp that night's stay. In the morning when taking a shower my husband discovered that the drain was clogged with hair and gunk and the water was backing up. We were so thoroughly disgusted that we checked out early and will NEVER EVER go back!
Besides these issues, I have to add that the first morning we ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant there was a short curly hair (which was not mine) in my scrambled eggs. The whole property is showing signs of wear and tear, and the kids suites in particular are suffering from neglect. Our sink was not anchored to the counter so that whenever you turned the tap on or off the whole sink would slide around. The finish on the tub was chipped right down to the metal, and the drain was broken and full of crud. The rooms are freezing cold and you can't adjust the temp. If you want to buy a movie the only option is to purchase a 4-movie card for $10.50 BUT you don't get to choose your movie, you have to watch whatever happens to be on. Our phone didn't work. The tv picture in both rooms was fuzzy. There were old pieces popcorn from a previous guest on the bathroom floor. The staff we dealt with were listless and apathetic and not particularly helpful. I wasn't expecting something fancy, but I expected a lot better (and cleaner!!!) than this for $119 a night. This place is absolutely revolting, don't waste your money!!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC