We've just returned home from a quick 3 night trip to Sydney to climb the Harbour Bridge. I had been monitoring Trip Advisor religiously, and worried because of some of the reivews. They were either glowing, or really terrible. After staying at The York, I assume that the apartments are all privately owned, and some may be better than others. Ours certainly exceeded our expectations.
We stayed in a deluxe executive suite on the 22nd floor. The main reason we decided to stay here was because, with 2 teenage boys, most hotels would offer 2 queen beds in a room (they don't want to share a bed!), or interconnecting rooms (double the price). A serviced apartment was certainly a better move.
We entered the apartment and straight ahead was the living room, to the left was a bedroom for the boys, and to the right (down a short hall) was the master bedroom. The master bedroom had a large ensuite next to it, with a double sink, bath, shower and loo. Next to that was a laundry with washing machine and dryer. Other reviews have said appliances were noisy, however this was not the case in this particular room.
Walking forward from the front door, you pass the 2nd bathroom on the right, and walk into the main living area. It has a full kitchen with appliances (toaster, saucepans etc). A large L shaped couch with TV. To the right of the living room is a rectangle table with 6 chairs. A little further to the right, behind sliding doors, is an office with desk, chair and couch.
The kids room had its own veranda with table and 4 chairs, where we had breaky! The living room had a veranda with a table and 2 chairs. We had a lovely view of Lavender Bay. There were certainly buildings in the way, but, hey, it's the city. At night it was lovely.
Friday afternoon we walked to Darling Harbour and had lunch, then that night we walked down to the bridge and did the climb. Saturday, we walked down to the market at the Rocks and then to Circular Quay to catch a ferry to Pyrmont, the monorail around and walked back to the unit. It was a great location and gave us the opportunity to visit many sites without need for a car.
After each trip out, we enjoyed a swim in the beautiful pool on the 6th floor, and soaked in the spa. There was also a sauna and gym.
We would recommend this apartment to friends and family, but perhaps suggest they stay in that particular unit or at least book the deluxe executive. I believe the executive all face the front of the building.
On the down side...I would be careful with little kids. The verandas do have pot plants and chairs. You can lock the sliding doors, but there are not locks up high, so you would need to be vigilant. Again, this was in this particular unit, others may be different.
- Also Known As:
- The York By Swiss-Belhotel Hotel Sydney
- The York By Swiss-Belhotel Hotel
- York Apartment Hotel
- York Apartment Sydney
- Apartment Hotel New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The York by Swiss-Belhotel is located in the heart of the CBD offering a combination of Studio 1 and 2 Bedroom Apartments. Each apartment offers a spacious living area, fully equipped kitchen, 1 or 2 bathrooms, laundry facilities and balconies. Most apartments have views that extend to the City SkyLine, and the Executive Apartments overlook Sydney Harbour Foreshore*.*Views are not uninterrupted ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Fastbooking, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your The York by Swiss-Belhotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.