Stayed here in November 2009 after a very long day's travelling from Heathrow to Koh Samui via Bangkok.
Over the last couple of days I've decided that I really should start contributing to Tripadvisor as I read it so much when choosing places to stay. Ban Kao Tropical is one of the first places that I am reviewing, for two reasons. Firstly becuase we loved it so much and secondly because when we booked it, there was only one review on the site and it left me a little nervous to say the least because the deal that I got for the room seemed too good to be true!!
But how wrong was I?....We took advantage of a 3 night for the price of 2 offer for a pool room that came with it's own plunge pool inside a walled garden. It worked out at about £100 for the 3 nights, looking at the website for Ban Kao Tropical now it seems a litte more expensive at about £140 but still excellent value for the money.
Let me make this very clear though, Ban Kao Tripical is NOT for those looking for hustle and bustle, nightlife and shops within walking distance. There is a beach nearby which the resort will take you to free of charge and also a convinience store about 5 minutes drive away. Ban Kao Tropical, is though the perfect place to unwind from a long journey and totally switch off from the daily grind. We stayed here for the first 3 nights of our Thailand trip and found it ideal.
The resort is owned by a French Chef who is a bit of a celebrity in Thailand I am led to believe and you can see exactly what he is trying to achieve, the standard of all the rooms and Villas are top notch and we found the food to be very good in the restaurant and cooked fresh to order.
The Pool Room that we had was really good and anything equivalent in England would cost 5 times as much. The room was on a split level with the living area leading out to the plunge pool and the bed a few steps up from the living area. The Bathroom was top drawer and had a very stylish Dragon shower head. Also provided was a TV with satellite which had a few english channels, which if I'm honest you did need at night due to nothing going on outside of the resort.
The spa was very good also and we both used the services of the lady that worked there having a Thai massage which was reasonably priced.
As I said though Ban Kao Tropical really is for those looking to totally unwind, when we stayed we were the only residents for our last two nights.
I have read that someone was not overly impressed by the lack of english spoken by the staff, perhaps I expect different things but I really had no issue. You need to remember that you are in Thailand, having said that we always had access to one lady who worked in the reception area that could communicate with us who sorted both transport from the airport for us and then onwards to Chaweng when we left. I saw that someone's transfer did not arrive at the airport to collect them, I can only speak for ourselves, we arrived at Koh Samui airport at about 9pm and the first person we saw as we exited the airport was the driver from Ban Kao Tropical waiting for us.
Prior to arriving in Thailand I e-mailed Ban Kao Tropical for a couple of reasons and always got a prompt reply and this only helped to impress me. I read Tripadvisor everytime I book a holiday and only ever take note of the bad reviews and worry thinking "what have we done, it's going to be a cockroach infested hole" and then arrive to always find the total opposite......Please take this review for exactly what it is, a glowing review of Ban Kao Tropical that I would not hesitate to reccomend to friends and family and somewhere that I would not hesitate to stay again!!
- Also Known As:
- Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence Hotel
- Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence Hotel Koh Samui
- Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence And Spa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bang kao Tropical Boutique residence & Spa is situated in the South of Koh Samui, which is an area still very green and quite untouched by tourist development, where you can feel the original atmosphere of the island and meet locals who are still working as fishermen or cultivating the land. The residence is 10 minutes walk away from a beautiful and very quiet beach of fine white sand ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.