Stayed in Rio for business for 3 nights, very impressed with the hotel from check-in all the way to check-out.
The hotel is in a great location just on Copacabana Beach, with the beach 3 minutes walk from the front of the hotel (you need to cross a main road to the beach but simple and safe). There is good parking, valet service and bell hops to take your luggage.
All staff were friendly, one thing you can't fail to miss are the dozens of security camera's (and associated security staff) which ensures a great level of safety for you and your belongings. Once checked-in via the english speaking staff, it was off to the room. Mine was on the 21st floor, plenty of lifts and the entire hotel is very well decorated. I had a twin room on a corner so I had a beach view and side view to Sugar Loaf Mountain.
The room was immaculate, not huge but a good size and plenty of storage. The Aircon / TV / Mini Bar and other info was in good condition/stocked. The bathroom was clean, nicely decorated and the shower was amazing! very powerful jets, plenty of hot water.
The rooms are nicely laid out, I found the stay in the hotel incredibly quiet for nighttime / evening and got a great sleep. Which is rare as Brazillians are generally very noisy when walking about and was pleased for such great sleep in a busy city.
The hotel can arrange nearly anything for you, there is free Kayaks, Sailing, Beach Chairs and many other activities (some you need to pay for like scuba diving). Plenty of tours to every part of Rio, definately recommend the usual "Christ the Redeemer", "Sugar Loaf" and I also went to a Favela tour behind Ipanema Beach which was very interesting. Some of the Favela's are now very safe for tourists (some on the south side are NOT and should be avoided). I went with a local tour, so you view the "slums" (note: many people in the favelas are local workers, rooming to avoid travelling from further away, they have free electicity from the Government so you'll see a lot of satellite dishes and flat screen tv's in some of them!). Met the locals and saw one of the best Samba shows in Rio in the Favela..
Only used the hotel for breakfast as there are too many other places to visit for other meals. Breakfast was great though, plenty of choice. The hotel attracts a number of VIP guests, so dont be shocked to be a table from a well known footballer / presenter etc.
The pools were fine for the hotel, the infinity pool on the roof is worth a visit but not to swim in.. The 4th floor pool is fine, but if you can swim then head to the sea (but be careful as the currents are quite strong).
The local area is fairly safe between 10am - 10pm, the local HSBC bank about 100metres from the hotel (turn right when leaving hotel and cross two roads) is reliable and safe. After 10pm I would not recommend walking far from the hotel, a couple of German and Dutch colleagues were pick pocketed by a group of hookers as they walked the beach path late at night. (The girls crowded around them, touching the guys and as they automatically went to push them away, other girls whipped their iphone's / wallets etc from pockets).. They said it happened so fast and the girls disappeared, yet the pimps went up to them and demanded cash for touching the girls :-) So use common sense and use taxi's or remain in the bars in viewable distance from the hotel.
If you do head out to other bars, keep an eye on your drinks tabs there is a lot of sharking going on and your 4 drinks may come to 9 drinks on your bill if you are counting.. Welcome to Rio!! lots of friendly people but look after your possessions and keep alert.
Finally Internet is available in the hotel but is 35rias per 24 hours and that was about 7 times more expensive than any other hotel in Brazil!
- Also Known As:
- Windsor Atlantica Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Iberostar Rio De Janeiro
- Iberostar Hotel Copacabana
- Windsor Atlantica Hotel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Localizado em frente ao belíssimo mar de Copacabana, este imponente 5 estrelas de 39 andares fica pertinho de dois shoppings centers e tem fácil acesso aos principais pontos turísticos e aos dois aeroportos do Rio de Janeiro. Na entrada principal, do Windsor Atlantica, uma imponente mandala feita com mármore de cinco países diferentes convida a conhecer um ambiente contemporâneo e luxuoso, com um toque de requinte. Tapetes persas, lustres em puro cristal italiano e mármores trazidos da Itália, Índia, Turquia, Portugal e Grécia completam a decoração do hotel.O hotel conta com 545 apartamentos e suítes decorados com muito bom gosto, proporcionando conforto e requinte para os momentos de descanso. Para clientes que buscam exclusividade e atendimento de alto padrão, o Windsor Atlantica Hotel desenvolveu o Windsor Club, um produto VIP que visa proporcionar atendimento altamente personalizado. A gastronomia é garantida pela excelência culinária que os hotéis Windsor aplicam em seus restaurantes. O restaurante The View, no 4º andar do hotel, oferece vista panorâmica das praias do Leme e Copacabana. O Ristorante Alloro, no lobby, se dedica a alta gastronomia Italiana e foi eleito "O Melhor Restaurante Italiano do Rio", pela revista VEJA Rio.Para cuidar do corpo e da mente, o Windsor Atlantica ainda dispõe de um Spa sofisticado, com 600m² de puro bem-estar. O Windsor Atlantica adota práticas de gerenciamento sustentável e é o primeiro 5 estrelas no Brasil a receber o selo Travelife OURO em Sustentabilidade. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Amex, Priceline, EasyToBook, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Windsor Atlantica Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.