Hotel Maitai in Rangiroa is a small laid back and charming place. Prior to our stay in Rangiroa we stayed Maitai Bora Bora, and I have to say that Rangiroa's Maitai is way better than the Maitai in Bora Bora. Service especially was notably better.
As with many Polynesian hotels; the breakfast is a pricey deal, not necessarily worth the money. Dinner and lunch are better value for your dime. Maitai in Rangiroa has cozy and quiet rooms, with less than perfect cleanliness (some visible mold in the shower room etc), thou I didn't mind that much - might be a problem if you are severely allergic.
Tips on your food options: The best place to eat (lunch and dinner) is Chez Obelix just down the road from Maitai towards Tiputa. It's only about a 3-4 minute walk and they offer the tastiest meals on the island. There's also a "Magazin" grocery store the same way, 1 minute walk away. Another food option is across the road from the grocery store; restaurant Vaimario. I found their food quite average, but entirely ok. Yet another option is to walk further towards Tiputa (maybe 10 or 15 minute walk) to Le Kai Kai restaurant. Right next door to Maitai there's the Raira Lagoon pension; who also offers dinner. We ate there once, and sorry to say but it wasn't good (my lamb was cooked wrong, more fat and bones than meat..)
If you come to the Maitai for scuba diving (as we did), you are in a good spot. Maitai has good deals with two dive shops: the 6 passangers and Topdive. You can get a better deal on the 10 dive package by buying it from the Maitai; if you buy from the diveshops they actually charge you more. Dive shops have free pickup and dropoff, and its a very short drive anyways (Rangiroa only has 12 kilometers of road.. in total ;).
There's a nice reef for snorkeling right in front of the hotel - remember not to touch any of the corals or sealife there.
If you consider taking one of their trips: take the full day excursion to the Reef Island. It's totally worth it and its a unique cool place unlike anything other I'v visited.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Rangiroa Lagoon Hotel
- Novotel Rangiroa
- Accor Rangiroa Lagoon Hotel
- Rangiroa Novotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Maitai Lagoon Rangiroa, in French Polynesia, is located on one of the largest lagoons in the Southern Hemisphere and is one of the top 5 dive destinations in the world. Just a short 50 minute flight from Papeete, this 3 star resort features 38 traditional Polynesian style rooms and bungalows set amidst exotic gardens and overlooking the beautiful azure lagoon. Other features include a restaurant, bar with local entertainment and a variety of water based leisure activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Maitai Lagoon Rangiroa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.