As a business traveler, I dislike the "cookie cutter" franchise hotel experience. It always leaves me with that "what city is this again" feeling that makes business travel a grind.
My recent approach has been to try more unique properties in order to try and take advantage of the opportunity to travel while working. The Raphael Hotel in KC fit that bill perfectly and I enjoyed my stay. The hotel staff was friendly and offered quick service regardless of my needs. I had a package delivered to the hotel prior to arrival and it was behind the front desk ready for me when I arrived. Their bellmen and valets really stand out to me and are the lasting staff memory I have of the hotel. Each was fast, friendly, and had an upbeat intelligent personality. Plus valet service was free!
The hotel's decor is attractive (especially the lobby/bar/lounge) and I found the building and my room clean and odor free. The bathroom is small and in keeping with the age of the hotel the fixtures are not modern, but everything was clean and worked fine.
Location is perhaps the biggest plus. It is in the heart of the plaza and makes it really easy to get to the most popular spots on the plaza. The attached picture I shot from right outside the hotel with my cell.
Finally is price, I booked at hotels(--) and got the room for $139 a night, which I felt was great for the style, service, and location of the hotel.
- Also Known As:
- The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection Hotel
- The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Kansas City
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raphael Hotel is an elegant, charming boutique accommodation modeled on the finest small European hotels. Readers of Travel+Leisure voted The Raphael Hotel one of the 2013 T+L 500 World's Best Hotels. With a combination of a significant historic landmark, vintage hospitality, and individualized service, this Kansas City destination hotel delivers a unique destination experience in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri's famed Country Club Plaza.The hotel's signature restaurant, Chaz on the Plaza, is noted for its intimate, romantic atmosphere and its distinct brand of modern, regional American cuisine. Menus offer a concise, yet diverse variety of appetizers, salads, soups, entrees and desserts. Signature items include fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and a hand-cut, wet-aged prime beef tenderloin that advances Kansas City's beef reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Venere, Cheap Tickets and Tingo so you can book your The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.