This is one of the more challenging reviews that I've written because of the idiosyncratic nature of this hotel. There are plenty of positives and negatives and I'll try to lay a few of them out here. On the positive side the hotel has very spacious rooms and is in an awesome location. The rooms were very cool with brick exposed walls, stainless kitchen and your own washer dryer setup. Very clear that this was designed to be a condo until the recession hit.
On the negative side, the hotel is expensive and the service is much less than I am used to at other hotels that I visit, and I travel quite a bit. There are only 15 rooms in the hotel and so you are not going to have a concierge or other helpful folks there to help you with your trip. This is more like a B & B experience so know that going in. We had a few glitches during our stay and the front desk was fairly non-responsive so it takes a hit in that category from me, as I expect top notch service at great hotels. Our bill was also incorrect when it arrived in the morning and the gentlemen at the front desk was fairly surly in trying to fix it. Again, the little things mean a lot when you are trying to compete with top notch hotels. There are also limited services at the hotel - like no gym, pool, etc. The place is a condo -- a very nice condo, but a condo. Also, as others have mentioned, the walls are paper thin so make sure you're not staying here if you are protecting or sharing state secrets.
So in the end, I would recommend this hotel if you know Charleston well already and do not need the services provided by some of the other hotels in town. It is great for a family looking for extra room in a great part of town. But do NOT choose this hotel if this is your first time in Charlestown and getting great service, recommendations for local activities, and things of that nature are what you need.
It's a nice hotel but certainly not in the range of the other top full-service places in town.
- Also Known As:
- The Restoration On King Hotel
- The Restoration On King Hotel Charleston
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With dramatic living spaces, fully equipped kitchens, and the classic charm of decades of Southern hospitality, Restoration on King is a beautifully restored Charleston boutique hotel that is surrounded by vibrant, active Charleston, South Carolina. Located in the heart of the Historic District, the 16 luxury one- and two-bedroom suites offer executive living with all the comforts of a well-appointed apartment. The rooms are spacious and airy, ranging from 782 sq. ft. to 1,271 sq. ft. They boast 12-foot ceilings, exposed brick walls, original knotty pine flooring and large windows. While some have private patios, all guests are welcomed to join us on the rooftop terrace for wine and cheese, and the pure enjoyment of the city below. The coveted AAA Four-Diamond rating only begins to tell the story. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Jetsetter, Loews Hotels, Booking.com, Tablet Hotels, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Venere and Tingo so you can book your The Restoration on King reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.