...I probably would have rated it higher. This is a fairly new property with the "new" Courtyard lobby and decor. When I first got to my room, it had a musty smell ("hadn't been used in a while", I thought) and I figured the A/C would take care of it. It didn't.
The room decor was sleek and modern but the only closet was a tiny armoire built in to the work desk/TV assembly. The armoire was too small to hang anything more than a couple of days clothes for one person. The flat screen TV had 60-ish channels available (essentially full basic cable) but none of them were in Hi-Def. Ironically, the little TVs built in to the treadmills in the exercise room _did_ get Hi-Def channels. There was complimentary wired and wireless Internet and the wired speed was pretty good even during peak evenings.
The hotel has the new Courtyard "Bistro" restaurant, which I used for breakfast and found it OK. I still prefer the old Courtyard breakfast buffet, however. The Bistro has a bar and light meal service in the evenings but there is one twist at this property - you cannot order from the bar and take it back to your room like you can at almost every other hotel out there. They claim this is due to local laws and there are signs at the elevator ("No Alcoholic Beverages Past This Point") to remind guests. Luckily the area is very near Jefferson Ave. where many restaurant chains are available and there are a couple of restaurants about a block away.
If I had to return to the area, I'm not sure this would be my first choice. In any event, I would check out the room for odors first.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Newport News Airport Hotel Newport News
- Courtyard By Marriott Newport News Airport Hotel
- Newport News Marriott
- Courtyard Newport News
- Newport News Courtyard
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an ideal location near the airport, attractions, universities and shopping, the Courtyard Newport News is ideal for business or leisure travel. You'll find perfect accommodations in Hampton Roads with functional work space in each guest room, complimentary wireless Internet, and a 24-hour food market. Our sleek lobby bistro offers opportunities to eat, drink, and connect with others or online throughout your day. After meetings or sightseeing, unwind in our indoor pool and whirlpool or stay fit in our fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Marriott, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Venere, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.