When you visit this unique hilltop resort, you feel like you're in a bit of a different world, but in a good way. Check-in and check-out was quick & easy. All the Crowne Plaza staff is VERY friendly and helpful.
We arrived around 3 p.m., but the only King bed room available at that moment was a handicap King on the first floor. We decided to take it. ($130)
The handicap rooms do not have tubs... just large showers, which was fine with us. They also have slightly-elevated toilets with thin, plastic seats. Also these rooms are on the ground level (first floor), which is actually below the lobby (on the third floor).
There was a tennis tournament in progress during our visit, and we saw several hotel guests with dogs (they even have dog biscuits at the check-in desk).
This resort has one of the best fitness rooms I've seen in a hotel. Lots of equipment and, like most hotels, hardly anyone uses it.
Downtown Asheville is an easy 5-min drive away, with lots of parking options. There's also a fun zipline course toward the rear parking lot of the Crowne Plaza. The zipline course is separately-owned and cost $80 for 2.5 hrs of tree-to-tree ziplining. Reservations are required and the schedule often fills up weeks in advance. The Crowne Plaza offers a package deal that includes ziplining, but I don't think you save a lot of money.
There's also a disc golf course at Richmond Hill Park, about 10-mins away, that is tournament-quality challenging and fun ... and free.
Crowne Plaza Resort:
• Beautiful property on a hill, close to downtown Asheville shopping & restaurants
• Friendly, helpful staff
• Nice art deco walls and ceiling, lamps
• Firm mattress w/ comfortable (washable) comforters
• Lots of storage for clothes (2 big nightstands, 3-drawer dresser, long desk drawer, closet, entertainment center cabinet shelving)
• Comfortable heater & A/C
• Small fridge
• Granite top dresser & entertainment center, sink
• Full-length mirror
• Big soothing night stand lights
• Fairly modern am/fm/cd player & alarm clock - Philips (face glow serves as nice nightlight)
• Spacious shower (handicap)
• Thick towels & good quality toiletries
• Great fitness center near the lobby and BIGGER fitness center & pool in separate building
• Zip line course starts in the back of the Crown Plaza parking lot... in fact the property belongs to Crowne Plaza
• Noisy hallway (shouting, etc.), and can't muffle it with the heat/a/c fan because the cool fan freezes the room.
• Privacy drapes (on first floor) tricky/nearly impossible to close entirely
• NOT ENOUGH outlets = NO desk outlet (bring multiplug or power strip)
• Closest bathroom sink outlet is 10 ft away (in the handicap room)
• Small sink & no other flat surfaces in bathroom
• Thin plastic toilet seat wouldn't stay up (in handicap room)
• Shower bit confusing to adjust
• Desk level is a bit too high
• No desk lamp, but nice floor lamp next to desk.
• Small 3-cup (weak) coffee maker... Sunbeam, flat filter type (you can make the coffee stronger by putting in both filtered portions at once... in fact, it turned out pretty good that way)
• 3 decorative pillows on the bed present questions about sanitation (decorative pillows are fine for your house, but rest assured that hotel guests use them in ways you don't want to think about)
• No complimentary breakfast
We were put in one of the first floor handicap rooms. The hallways were noisy with voices and doors...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Thank you so much for submitting such an extensive and detailed overview of the property. I feel like you have highlighted many of our strongest points and also given us some very useful constructive criticism. I do want to mention that guests get a Zipline discount of $59/person, and that the price you mentioned is for the public. I hope you get to come back for a visit in the future!
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC