Stayed five nights with a group. We were allocated 3 rooms, all had mice and when we asked if someone could deal with this we were given a sticky paper like mouse trap for the mouse to become stuck and thus starve. The trap was not only inhumane but also ineffective. One girl was ill at one point during the night and was caught short when the room door wouldn't open. After requesting someone to possibly clean it up, no one came until two nights later and squirted it with disinfectant and left. Leaving us to clean it up without proper facilities. The room we occupied on the lower floor was noisy, and although not the hostels fault, the noise was indeed unavoidable due to traffic, we were in fact promised a quiet room. We ordered breakfast and the hostel informed us that they 'could do nothing for veggies' leaving our 3 vegetarians without food! We eventually, having paid afterall, asked to see the manager, who then picked up a bagel apologised, removed the meat and handed the bagel back. The same with our member who did not like egg. The second day they left our breakfast on the table, unlabelled, which was not only cold but taken by other groups who believed it to be theirs. This was once our fault. Some of our key cards became ineffective at one point as granted we were told may happen, however upon asking for a replacement we were accused of damaging the key and would be charged for a replacement. Communication was difficult and often we felt we were being accused of being unappreciative. I worry what people with limited english will experience if they do also have a bad stay at the hostel! The windows in the room were drafty with huge gaps which we could not block, making the rooms cold and uncomfortable. This paired with the lack of spare blankets and no sheet other than a fitted sheet and no duvet, made the stay in an already cold and dreary month even more unhomely. The highlights were that a cafe was available downstairs to replace the awful breakfast, although the staff were often quite off hand when we inquired what produce they sold. A starbucks was also down the street for when this cafe ran out of hot drinks. Possibly a good hostel and we just had a bad experience but would certainly never return and I encourage any who visit to resolute in their defence if they have a problem, it should eventually be sorted out.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International - New York Hotel
- Hostelling International - New York Hotel New York City
- Hostelling International New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Foreigners and out-of-towners meet and discuss travel plans in this large hostel. Largest hostel in the United States. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Hostelling International - New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.