We stayed at the Trump Soho for seven nights at the end of August - our first trip to NYC. We'd ummed and aahed about which hotel to go for, especially as this was the first trip, and we were tempted by the amazing reviews of the Trump Soho. I would really like to say that all our expectations were met, but please read on.
There were definitely very very good things about our stay and about the hotel:
1. The views: absolutely worth the cost alone. We were on the 22nd floor, corner suite, with a view straight up 6th Avenue to midtown, and a bit of Brooklyn Bridge could be seen.
2. Location: easy walking distance to Greenwich Village, Soho, and the Humber. In fact, we walked back from midtown and also walked down to the Financial District. Easy, safe. When our feet were sore, the subway station was a 100yrds from the hotel.
3. Plenty of restaurants around, (food quite expensive in the hotel);
4. Nice, large, 2 bedroom suite. There were three of us, so it was good to have enough room not to be in each other's way all the time.
5. Friendly bell-hops and housekeeping staff.
6. Gorgeous bathroom - huge tub, rainforest shower, nespresso machine.
7. Fantastic huge and very soft bed, with quality linen.
So, what was not to like?
1. The decor in our suite was a bit jaded - lots of scratches on the furniture. Not what you'd expect from a 5 star.
2. Room design. There were three tvs - one in the bedroom, one in the living area, and one in the bathroom. It is only a small-ish space, with no dividing walls/doors, so why on earth would you need three?! The TV in the living area was on the wall, but at an adjacent angle to the sofa, so you'd have to crane your neck to watch it. You couldn't move the TV in the bathroom, so you couldn't watch it from the tub.
3. Room design 2. Beware if you're sharing a room with someone you don't know really well. Why on earth isn't there a door to the bathroom???? There are two metres between the bed and the toilet, with no door inbetween! At least you get to know your room-mate more intimately in this hotel....
4. We weren't keen on the daily charge for wi-fi, although it was free in the library and lobby.
5. The lobby was busy, and did feel a bit like a train-station. The bar was tucked away behind reception, and we didn't find it until our last morning, and it wasn't really geared at residents. The hotel needs a casual bar/coffee bar just for residents, where you could have a drink after returning from sight seeing. We went to the outdoor bar and pool area, which had a really nice party vibe, but everyone were really dressed up for a night out so not the kind of place you could just chill for a couple of drinks.
6. Housekeeping was a bit hit- and -miss. We'd upgraded to a 2 bed suite, as we had a fifteen year old, and felt that we might as well pay a bit more for more space than pay for a foldaway bed! Even though it was obvious that we were three people, nobody came to make up the sofa bed - leading to uncomfortable first night with one sheet and a cushion on the sofa. Not good for the money we were paying! When I complained the following morning, we were told that we had to ring housekeeping to ask them to make up the sofa bed. Nobody had told us this when we upgraded, no instructions in the room and not really what you'd expect from a five-star. We were made to feel that we were in the wrong. Anyway, after that, housekeeping made the bed up every night with no problem (or phone calls required).
7. A 2 bed suite can sleep up to four people. Why, therefore, were there only 2 glasses available in the room for the whole week. And 2 coffee cups. Sometimes, glasses were taken away but not replaced for days. This was all very bizzare.
So, to conclude. Great stylish hotel, good staff, great views, great location. For the price, and the star rating, there were too many glitches. Now, I've been keeping my eye on the Tripadvisor reviews since our stay, and there seems to have been a pattern. Most of the time the reviews are great, but during the time of our stay and just afterwards, and again over Christmas/New Year, the reviews aren't always so good. This could indicate some staffing issues (holiday time?). I think a hotel of this standard should sort this out.
Also, the hotel needs to sort out its identity. Is it a hotel for cool, trendy young things (as evidenced by the bars, the number of glasses in the rooms etc), or is it a hotel aimed at tourists (obviously a key market, as evidenced by the other guests during our stay)? I think this hotel could be really, fantastically, great, if it pays more attention to detail and sorts out its identity.
- Also Known As:
- Trump Soho New York Hotel
- Trump Soho New York Hotel New York City
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adding distinction to the skyline, Trump SoHo® New York brings a new perspective of Manhattan from its 391 guest rooms, providing unparalleled views of the city from floor-to-ceiling windows in the deluxe and premiere rooms and suites. The Spa at Trump® features New York's only luxury hammam experience, relaxation rooms and fitness center. Trump SoHo is pleased to welcome the new signature restaurant Koi SoHo, featuring an imaginative menu of contemporary Japanese cuisine. Plan your business or social gathering in one of the hotel's exclusive meeting and event spaces. Unwind over cocktails in The Library or retreat to the seasonal Bar d'Eau with its outdoor pool deck. Possessing one of the city’s most coveted locations where SoHo meets Tribeca and the West Village with celebrated art galleries, restaurants, shopping and nightlife, Trump SoHo New York is downtown like you’ve never experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Agoda, Travelocity, Tablet Hotels, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Trump SoHo New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.