My basic criteria for a hotel room is for it to be CLEAN, affordable, and safe. Unfortunately, our experience with this Super 8 property failed the first test of cleanliness.
Our family was coming back from a week at Disney and needed a place to stop overnight. I read through reviews and as we needed a place somewhat near Nashville, this Super 8 seemed to be in a nicer area and was less than my $100/night threshold for being affordable. I have a 2-year old and after a long 12+ hour day of driving, we just wanted to settle in quickly and get a good night sleep.
The propery is right off Interstate 24 and in an area with lots of other hotels and restaurants. Hotel had outside rooms, which I usually try to avoid but I must have overlooked it on my reservation. Check-in was quick and efficient, and we got our non-smoking King room on the first floor. Unfortunatley, as we opened the door, and I did notice the non-smoking sign on the door...we literally were punched in the face with the strong smell of smoke in the room. In fact, the whole room smelled like an ashtray. Strike ONE.
The room decor was slightly dated, but was big and had a sitting area, decent sized mini-fridge, microwave, and mounted flatscreen. Upon unpacking, we noticed a few long hairs on the bathroom sink and the hairdryer on the wall literally had a tangle of hair coming out of it. This was just gross. Strike TWO.
As my wife settled down to bed with my son, she noticed an opened and used bottle of face lotion on the bedside table...trash from the previous guests that was somehow overlooked and not thrown away on the room turnover. Once again, gross. Strike THREE.
I took a shower and noticed that while there were fresh clean towels out...there was an old used towel still hanging up on the back of the door...I can only assume from the previous guest, and somehow missed (again) during the room turnover. I don't think this has ever happened to me in all the hotel rooms I've stayed in over the years. Strike FOUR.
By now I would've complained, but as my 2-year old was asleep and it was past midnight, not worth it to me to try to go through the hassle of getting moved to a new room. Just trying to get through to morning by now.
I have a small travel flashlight with me and as I turned out the lights and made my way to bed to take my sandals off by the bedside, I shine my flashlight down to see where they will go and notice an extremely large dust bunny near the corner...about the size of a bouncy-ball (one-inch diameter). Gross again...and something that one would logically think would be cleaned during a normal vacuum session. Strike FIVE.
The beds and pillows were fairly comfortable and the HVAC unit worked well. The outside door did prove to be noisy as the road traffic was very audible. Check-out attendant was very friendly and there were a few small items available in the lobby for breakfast snack.
Overall...I'm hoping this room was an exception and would not happen again, but I usually give a place 2 chances, maybe 3....but after 5 strikes we will not be staying here or another Super 8 again unless I am throughly convinced otherwise. So traveler beware if you want a clean room...this one did not make the grade and although $80/night wasn't horrible, I think I could've done better or at least would've glady paid $20 more for a cleaner property.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC