We returned from Cuba just last week after a fantastic time spent there. What a fantastic resort we picked for our first trip to Cuba!
The staff are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble and we really did feel well looked after on all fronts. Much seems to have been made by many reviews on here about tipping, but in all honesty - if you feel like tipping good (or great!) service then do so, if you don't feel the service warrants it then don't tip. Simple really.
There is a danger of writing far too much about such a great resort, so I will try to summarise:
The rooms are spacious and very clean, the room attendants do a great job; we stayed on the Luna side which suited us fine as it is the quieter side and we do enjoy a bit of peace and quiet to fully relax.
The food is plentiful and there is a vast array to choose from at every service - breakfast, lunch & dinner. The chef's are friendly and cheerful, the food & beverage service teams are attentive and always smiling. Look out for Ivan especially, he is a wonderful waiter and mainly seen working in the Colon restaurant almost daily.
The food and service when dining a la carte was excellent in both the Italian and French restaurants and we also enjoyed dining on the beach in La Pinta for a light lunch option.
The beach is incredible, there are plenty of loungers (try and get the blue fabric ones or your backside will go numb spending too long on the white plastic version...!), the sea is perfect. So clear and warm, you can easily snorkle about 25 meters off the beach and see plenty of marine life. The wind can sometimes become quite strong in the afternoon but it is a warm breeze and not much sand gets blown up so it isn't really a problem.
The weather was amazing, 30 plus degrees every day and even though there were a couple of superb storms this did not spoil our time in Cuba. You can't really beat a decent Caribbean storm if you like them spectacular!
We would thoroughly recommend the Island Paradsie trip and also the Dining with Dolphins excursion, both are excellent - if you have never swum with dolphins before then do not miss this chance. The facilities are excellent, the staff and food are excellent and the dolphins themselves are simply incredible. Do it!
A final mention must go to Joe & Hafavero (no idea how it should be spelt...?!), the tour guides on the Island Paradise excursion. Along with the crew of the catamaran they were simply brilliant, so friendly, informative and attentive.
We truly hope to return to Cuba some day and would certainly not hesitate to fully recommend this fabulous resort.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel Guardalavaca
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel
- Sol Luna Mares
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Resort
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Guardalavaca, Holguin Province, Cuba
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four -Star All Inclusive Resort with 464 rooms. Located beachfront in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province, where visitors will be amazed by the dazzling superposition of blues and greens from the sea, sky and costal shrubbery. This hotel complex is surrounded by extensive green areas and offers a wide variety of services and attractions. Recommended for families, weddings, honeymoons and tourist groups.Guest Rooms464 rooms: 308 Standard, 108 Standard Ocean View, 30 Standard Superior Ocean View, 6 Junior Suite, 4 Suite, 8 Family Suite Ocean ViewDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 6 Bars ... more less