Select Date and Travellers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
This full-day private tour of Chiang Mai explores the hill tribe cultures of Northern Thailand. Learn and interact with the Karen, Hmong, Palong, and Akha tribes in a respectful and responsible way. Explore the Baan Tong Luang village and remote sites by 4WD vehicle. Get to know a unique culture and interact with locals on this immersive full-day tour.
- You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Samoeng ViewpointStop: 30 minutesSee details
- 2Hilltribe VillagesStop: 3 hoursSee details
- Visit local hill tribe villages in Thailand on this immersive full-day private tour
- Explore Baan Tong Luang and other nearby villages by 4WD vehicle
- Customize your itinerary to your liking with your private guide
- Learn about the Karen, Hmong, Palong, and Akha tribes and their way of life
What to Expect
Greet your guide and depart from your hotel as you head out toward the sub-tropical countryside surrounding Chiang Mai. Enjoy a scenic drive through hillside forests as you venture off the beaten path to discover authentic hill tribe villages. Visit a traditional Karen hill tribe village, where villagers reside in bamboo stilt huts. Receive an invitation to their homes and have the opportunity to cook a traditional lunch together. Learn about Karen culture as you stroll through the village with your guide. Then, if you wish, take a short stroll around the surrounding rice fields and farmland and discover how the Karen utilize their habitat. Finally, opt to discover the many villages of Baan Tong Luang. Explore daily life for various hill tribes such as the Hmong, Lahu, Lisu, and Long Neck. Enjoy meeting villagers and potentially participate in activities like farming, weaving, handicrafts, or visiting the local school. After your tour, head back to Chiang Mai where your tour concludes.
- Professional local guide and driver
- Transport by private vehicle, 4x4
- Hotel pick up and drop-off
- Private transportation
- Petrol: fill up tank and pay at the petrol pump (at the end of the tour), approximately 800 Baht
- Food: We'll cook lunch together over handmade fire. Please pay villagers directly 250bt/adult
- All entrance fees for optional activities
- Baan Tong Luang village - Entrance ticket (optional activity) 500 Baht
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Pick up time from your hotel is 8am and we finish in the late afternoon. The timing is flexible though, please contact us about this
- We specialise in visiting authentic villages and personalised experiences. So we can't guarantee what you'll see and do in the village. But you'll have the chance to meet villagers, be invited into their homes and to see how they live in an respectful way
- The itinerary is an outline only, and is flexible. We can customize the trip
- Optional visit to Baan Tong Luang village (where you can see the Long neck women, Palong, Lahu, Hmong, Lisu hill tribes). This is a touristic village, but it provides the chance to see a variety of hill tribe groups, which would otherwise be difficult to see in 1 day. The ticket for this is an additional cost. You can decide about this on the day, with your guide
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- Most travellers can participate
- We have a non-inclusive price, as our local fair pay policy to ensure villagers receive 100% profits from their services
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
Time of year
I put lot of effort to choosing the right company for our hill tribes trip and to be honest, trip with Thailand Hilltribe Holidays was even better than I expected. Our driver, Sam, drove safely and did not use the phone while driving :) Car was comfortable. Our guide,…
Date of experience: February 2020
Our guide Winai and driver Diew were pleasant who organised a relaxing and flexible trip. There were no rush at he places we visit as we spend longer at site we like and a quick look at those that needed less time. Highlight was the honour to have meals together at the Karen…
Date of experience: February 2020
Make sure to read their description properly. Overall, it was good experience but having to pay for the extra cost (gas, food..etc) I found to be a bit overpriced compared to other experiences I had while in Chiang Mai. There's other experiences that includes gas and food. I…
Date of experience: January 2020
1 Helpful vote
Response from ThailandHilltribe, Manager at Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai
Responded Feb. 2, 2020
I agree... please make sure you read our tour description fully and correctly !! If you are looking for a package all-inclusive tour, with fixed program and structure, then this won't be for you. If you're looking for something more 'authentic' and non-touristy, whereby we are discovering local life as it REALLY is...unstaged.. behind the scenes..then this is for you. We have an outline itinerary which we follow, but it's kept loose, so that we can personalise each trip for each groups interests. For example, some groups are more interested in photography or trekking or handicrafts etc. and so our guides will personalise the trip along the way accordingly. Each group and each trip is unique. That's why we only offer private tours, and these are more costly than group tours. Pricing wise, we do clearly state what this trip includes and excludes. Retrieving this booking history, you requested to cancel this trip (after you had read properly the tour desctiption and price), however as it was less than 24hrs before the trip was due to commence, any cancellation would have meant no refund, so you decided to continue with the tour. I'm sorry that our trip wasn't suited to you, but hope you still had a good time in Chiang Mai.
Go beyond the temples, the streetside food stands and the sandy beaches to see another side of Thailand. This isn't a polished and packaged commercial Disney-experience. It's an authentic snapshot of life in a rural village that left us with some lasting memories. Unlike many…
Date of experience: January 2020
I was craving a more authentic experience to learn about the hilltribe culture than what I could access around Chiang Mai. So very glad my research led me to this company on my visit to Chiang Rai. I had an amazing day with Anan. When booking the tour, Melissa was very easy to…
Date of experience: January 2020
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Thailand Hilltribe Holidays Private Tours
Feb 2020 The trip enabled us to get off the beaten track. Not only did we experience the fabulous temples of Chiang…
9 Day Northern Thailand Hilltribe Tour
My wife and I recently completed the 9 Day tour with our guide Pat and driver Sam. It was a spectacular experienc…
A most memorable Thailand experience
This Hill Tribe Tour, with Anan, was truly one of the most memorable highlights of our six week journey in Southeas…
Definitely 5 stars !
I chose this company because we wanted a non-touristy experience and that's exactly what we got ! In our 3 days aw…
Truly cultural experience
Such a great day. It was 7 of us including 2 kids ages 7 and 9. We had two SUVs and a full day of adventure. We wen…
See the north through the eyes of the locals
Best tour I’ve ever had. My wife (Chinese) and I (USA) went on the 5 day loop tour. The guide (Winai) and driver (L…
Thank you Sak, Letu, and Mongo for guiding us through one of the most memorable days on our trip to Thailand. Our t…
A great experience!
We really enjoyed the tour!Winai( our guide)and Sun( our driver) were really nice and helpful! They help as to disc…
My Husband and 2 boys, aged 10 and 12, recently went on a 3 night Hilltribe tour. We were so fortunate in our guide…
The Perfect Family Friendly Adventure in Northern Thailand
The 2 days we spent with Thailand Hilltribe Holidays were the highlights of our trip to Thailand. The owners were …
Tour guide and all excellent
Tour guide was authentic hilltribe himself and knew many of the locals, very good English and worth while experienc…
This tour absolutely deserves 5 stars. Anan, our guide, and Sam, our driver did a fantastic job, they were so kind …
We had a great time with this tour. Annan was extremely knowledgable and very interesting as he knew lots of the hi…
Absolutely unique experience catered to your interests
The key to this experience is doing the overnight. We stayed in a Karen Village (with also visited the Hillside Tr…
Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai Tour
Our connection with Hilltribe Holidays started with Melissa. She did well in steering our tour to meet our needs up…
- Duration: 8–9 hours
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Pickup offered
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071
Travellers also viewed
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 951 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 703 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai
What time does Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai start?
Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai will start at 8:00 AM. Discover and book Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai on Tripadvisor
How much is Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai?
Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai price starts from C$147.67. Discover and book Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai on Tripadvisor
What is the Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai cancellation policy?
Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai?
Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai is hosted by Thailand Hilltribe Holidays Private Tours. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Thailand Hilltribe Holidays Private Tours on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Private Tour: Full-Day Authentic Hill Tribe Villages in Chiang Mai on Tripadvisor