View all photos (5)
Select Date and Travellers
per group (up to 10)
Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
StartSee Important Information for details
- 1Mehrauli Archaeological ParkStop: 3 minutes -Delhi is a rich blend of the past and present, in the magnificent monuments and the vast modernization from being the capital city of India. Tours and vacations to this city, with random visits to different fortifications and walks to markets, may leave the tourists feeling a tad bit dissatisfied. But some right guidance and a storyline might do the job and make you fall in love with the city. What better way to do so, than with one of Delhi’s best historians? This experience takes you through the Southwest district of Delhi - Mehrauli. Hauz-e-Shamsi, Jahaz Mahal, Jharna and Zafar Mahal are some of the sites that you will get acquainted with during this 3-hour trail. The trail starts early at 8 am in the morning at the Hauz-e-Shamsi, a water tank reservoir built by Iltutmish, the ruler of the Slave Dynasty following the instructions of Islamic Prophet Mohammed who is said to have appeared in his dream. It is rumoured that the hoofprint of Mohammed's horse was found in the location, on the spot which a pavilion honours the story today. Towards the eastern side of the tank lies a magnificent palace, whose reflection in the surrounding reservoir resembles a ship that led to it being named as the 'Ship Palace' or Jahaz Mahal. The Jharna or water structure that guides the water's flow from Hauz-e-Shamsi near the Jahaz Mahal to Jamuna, was once a popular Mughal retreat and the highlight of the three-day festival - the Phoolon Walon ki Sair or the procession of florists. This structure was consistently renovated by different rulers like Muhammed Bin Tughlaq and Akbar Shah the Second over from the 14th century to the 19th century. The tour comes to an end at the last piece of monument built during the fading years of the Mughal era, the summer retreat of Zafar Mahal. This was the site of the Phoolon Walon ki Sair and it lies right next to the shrine of Qutub-ud-din Bhakteyaar Kaaki - the patron saint of Delhi and the namesake of Qutub Minar. It holds a piece of forlorn history that will touch your heart as you walk around the premises. The stories and myths that seem to follow the monuments are a part of the city's charisma. Knowing more about it connects you to the city better.Read more
- Well seasoned and proficient host to guide you through the history of Delhi
- All taxes and handling charges
- Food and drinks
- Recommended gratuities
- Camera usage fees in historic sites
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travellers have to say about this operator.
Best place to visit
Every Indian in their life must visit Akshardham especially the boat ride that makes us proud and inspires us to st…
Did the cooking class today, learnt so much and the food was delicious. Would highly recommend to anyone coming to …
Bumpy road from vandiperiyar, mostly full of lemongrass forest ride. Dangerous off road drive, with no roads. One w…
Silk Tour and Old Bangaluru
I had the opportunity to visit parts of the city that I never would have visited on my own as a solo traveler. Fro…
Avoid priests and celebrants
Pushkar's lake is beautiful. The priests and consorts who entice you to make an offering, or puja, by the lake side…
Informative, eventful and a memorable activity :)
The walk was nicely organized and structured by the Wandertrails local supplier. The activity is a complete package…
A refreshing experience!
I wanted to try something really different this time for my upcoming trip to Munnar. So I googled for some unique a…
Quiet, beautiful picnic spot
The drive to the south of Goa to this ancient Shiva temple is beautiful. The place itself has a gushing brook to wa…
While at Mangaladass, got this wonderful opportunity to visit the market as well. Fruits and vegetables here are in…
Incredible…no other word justify the performance of Kathakali dancers… It was a great experience of Kerala tour ar…
An incredible behind the scenes tour of Old Bangalore and its silk industry
We spent a great morning touring parts of the city that we would never be able to find our own. We got to see the p…
An adventurous drive to remember....
We took a jeep (Mahindra) from near the Periyar reserve and went to Sathram. It was a fantastic drive. It may not b…
Watching master craftsmen at work
After some confusion on meeting place, I had a great tour with Ali. As a solo female traveler it was great to get …
Fantastic Bike Ride!
The bike ride was fantastic! We were able to experience smaller communities, enjoy the the agriculture and families…
Best organizers for a enjoyable tours
We have booked our 10 day Rajasthan trip with Wandertrails between January 2nd to 13th 2017. From the beginning the…
- Duration: 3h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071