Recommended by 100% of travellers
Select Date and Travellers
Select tour language
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
Xunantunich is one of the largest ancient Maya cities ever built, the rulers of Xunantunich clashes with other powerful rivals in the area, including Tikal. In 2016, the largest Maya royal tomb ever discovered was excavated in Xunantunich, and the site remains an impressive display of pyramids, palaces, and other grandiose buildings.
- You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1XunantunichStop: 3 hours - Admission includedThis tour includes a visit to two of the most incredible attractions in Belize, the ruins of the ancient Maya city of Xunantunich and the sapphire waters of the Inland Blue Hole. Xunantunich Maya Ruins One of the largest ancient Maya cities ever built, Xunantunich is located approximately 70 miles (110 km) west of Belize City. Constructed on a ridge overlooking the Mopan River, Xunantunich was once home to nearly 100,000 people. The original name of the site is unknown, but its modern name derives from a Maya term that means “Stone Woman.” First rediscovered in 1892, many visitors to the site reported seeing a ghostly woman who was reported to haunt the structure known as “El Castillo” (The Castle). Still the second-largest manmade structure in the country, El Castillo measures 130 feet (40 meters) tall. Built as a temple pyramid, El Castillo is located in the exact center of the town. Today, Xunantunich is located approximately one mile from the Guatemalan border. During its heyday during the Classic Period of the Maya civilization (around 600-700 AD), Xunanutinch competed with nearby cities, including Naranjo, Caracol, and Tikal (which lies just a few miles over the border in Guatemala). The Inland Blue Hole Not to be confused with the Blue Hole that lies on the offshore reef, the Inland Blue Hole is located in the St. Herman’s Blue Hole National Park near the capital of Belize, Belmopan. First designated a national park in 1986, St. Herman’s is managed by the Belize Audobon Society as it sits in the middle of one of the most ecologically diverse areas of the country. Over 200 species of birds have been recorded in the area, including the red-legged honeycreeper and the piratic flycatcher. There is also a wide selection of wildlife in the park, including three big cat species.Read more
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission fee to Site
- Entry/Admission - Xunantunich
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
We came from Hopkins, drove there with our rental car which saves the tour bus fees. We stopped at the market on the way. We hired a guide, climbed to the top of the structure, then going back down was also a thrill. Saw quite a few large Iguanas while there. The hand cranked…
Date of experience: March 2020
This is a pretty laid-back, but very interesting cultural experience. Our local guide was really personable and knowledgeable, which made the tour even better. Light amount of walking and you have the option to trek up to the top of the ruins (which is lots of stairs and…
Date of experience: February 2020
Best tour guide you’ll ever have in Belize is jimmy. Knows more than you need to know about the country and is a genuine guy. Took us to the ruins and also cave tubing and I regret nothing. It was an amazing experience all around. Great job untame team!
Date of experience: February 2020
1 Helpful vote
I actually did 4 private tours with Jimmy and have so many good things to say about him! He’s punctual, trustworthy, and your experience is his top concern. He knows EVERYTHING about Belize and has been one of the best guide experiences I’ve had anywhere in the world. He…
This was hands down the best part of our vacation. We couldn’t have asked for a more knowledgeable guide to give our family an authentic Belizean experience. Jimmy knows so much about the flora and fauna, the Mayans and the local culture both past and present. You can count on…
Date of experience: December 2019
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Untame Belize Tours & Transfers
Belize COVID Vacation
We used Untame Belize for all of our transfers to and from Placencia as well as several tours during our stay this …
Transfers Made Easy
The drivers were all very sweet and knowledgeable about Belize. They are happy to make little stops for snacks or r…
You must stop here to see all of the animals. The grounds are beautiful. You can even pay to feed certain animals. …
Fantastic customer service, sights and guide!
We had the best time and the best guide! He would stop where ever we wanted to snap a pic and knew so much about th…
Enjoying my tour in Belize
I arranged my tour to Belize with “Untame Belize Tours” travel agent and I was very satisfied with their profession…
Fun!! Fun!! Fun !!
Fantastic adventure & well worth the travel!! The tour guides were so knowledgeable & pleasant that I recommend eve…
Best Trip Ever
Jimmy was our tour guide and he was nothing but amazing the entire day. I was spending my honeymoon in Belize and w…
We had a great time on this tour. Our guide Alex was very informative and friendly. The ride itself was so relaxi…
Jimmy was a fabulous tour guide. He was very knowledgeable, kind and helpful. His enthusiasm for the plants and ani…
Our drivers name was Jon. He was just what we needed after getting out of the airport. Took us for tacos in Belmopa…
Best tour we did in Belize
This was a great tour. We booked while staying with Jaguar Reef Lodge and got to go out with Terry from Monkey Riv…
Made a long ride more enjoyable
We landed in Belize City and were greeted by our smiling driver, Jimmy who proceeded to whisk us away. The first st…
First time zipliners.
Went on the zip line tour at Bocawina Rainforest Resort. My wife and I are in our early 70's and reasonably fit. Th…
I just love the people at Untame Belize
I just returned from the most amazing vacation in Belize. A prime reason I had such a positive experience was the w…
Super easy & Very Nice
Quick responses fair prices. Our driver Frank was the man. Showed up early, let us stop for food. Good convo.
- Duration: 9h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Pickup offered
- Languages Offered: English, Spanish
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071
Travellers also viewed
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 1,008 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour
What time does Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour start?
Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour will start at 7:00 AM. Discover and book Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour on Tripadvisor
Which attractions will I visit with Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour on Tripadvisor
How much is Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour?
Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour price starts from C$241.56. Discover and book Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour on Tripadvisor
What is the Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour cancellation policy?
Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Xunantunich and Inland Blue Hole Tour on Tripadvisor