Recommended by 100% of travellers
Select Date and Travellers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
- You'll start at53 Carroll Street53 Carroll Street, National Park 3989, New ZealandSee address & details
- 1Adrift TongariroStop: 10 minutesSee details
- 2Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre (Whakapapa Visitor Centre)Stop: 5 minutesSee details
- You'll end at53 Carroll Street53 Carroll Street, National Park 3989, New ZealandSee address & details
53 Carroll Street, National Park 3989, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
- Professional and qualified guide/s.
- All mountain equipment required (including crampons and ice axes during winter).
- Footwear and clothing to supplement up to a NZD40 free allowance.
- Live tour commentary provided in English.
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base (53 Carroll St, National Park Village) and the activity.
- Beverages, bottled water, or snacks
- Return transfers from Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum 2 people. Individual bookings are welcome, as the tour does generally meet minimum numbers, especially on good weather days. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements.
- It is essential all clients phone the Adrift Tongariro base between 10:00am - 5:00pm the day prior to trip date to confirm tour departure time and discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- A medium level of fitness is required.
- If you have back, neck, lower back, joint, or muscular problems, you should carefully consider whether to participate.
- You should have good circulation and healthy, unblocked breathing.
- Tour starts and finishes at the Adrift Tongariro Base. Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base (53 Carroll St, National Park Village) and the activity are included in the price.
- Transfers from Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge. All transfers require a minimum of 2 people.
- Winter tours are from 1 May - 30 September, or when snow and ice are on the trails. Summer crossings are from 1 October - 30 April, as long as snow and ice are clear from the trails.
- Gear List: Water, outdoor shoes with grip, long walking pants, 2 x warm tops and a raincoat.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travellers
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
Time of year
While traveling through New Zealand for our honeymoon, my husband and I were so eager to do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. While we usually prefer to do hikes on our own, we are so glad that we chose to do this one as a guided tour. Our two guides, Robert and Kenny, did a great…
Response from AdriftTongariro1, Front Office Manager at Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk
Responded Feb. 5, 2020
Thank you for the great review! We are glad to have guided you on your honeymoon.
The title says it all but on this walk this is basically just what you do. Maybe not just where the movie was filmed but it gives you a great idea of the area in which Lord of the Rings was filmed. I had several reason for only wanting to do the half day walk and the main 2…
Date of experience: February 2019
1 Helpful vote
We went in Feb ’18 & on the day we went, it was pouring with rain, but we were kitted out in thermals, waterproofs & hiking boots, which of course made the world of difference. After about an hour, the rain stopped & the sun came out, but we were grateful for the thermals as…
Date of experience: February 2018
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
By: Adrift Tongariro
Interactions with customers need to improve
I booked one space for the Tongariro Crossing WINTER SPECIAL about three days before the walk. The walk went smooth…
A cracker of a day
Finally managed to get the crossing done and dusted. Really glad we chose to have a guide to make the most of the e…
This walk exceeded my expectations. I hadn't expected it to be so good. There was still plenty of snow up high on 2…
Awesome Adrift Crossing
September 20th I did the Tongariro Winter Crossing with Adrift. They were EPIC. All email and phone communication w…
W O W
Very very recommend! Great people that make this day so good ! The feeling and the atmosphere is one of the greate…
Great trip over the tongariro crossing
Just finished this crossing and I highly recommend adrift. Our guide Hiro was great, he kept the pace going but nev…
Not the bike ride we booked
Adrift Tongariro We booked a half day guided private ride on the Okahune old coach road months ahead of our trip.…
79 year old with cancer kindly treated and given a memorable day
We were a party of 6, plus Simon, our guide. We had a bright day, starting cold, but warm in the afternoon. We star…
DO NOT DO IT
Do not book with Experience Oz for this tour, you will lose your money. My wife and I booked this tour for our hon…
Tongarino Alpine Crossing
As NZ slowly closed down i was able to take one of the last guided walks across the amazing Tongariro Alpine Track …
We arrived to complete the three day northern circuit but due to the virus we were unable to use the huts en route.…
This Epic Hike will make your trip
We were guided by Stuart Barclay - the owner of Adrift. He was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and we felt in good …
A WONDERFUL experience!
The gorgeous scenery, the patient and expert instruction of our guide, Jordan, the rush of adrenaline as we navigat…
Excursion was Great - Except the Transportation
We were a small group of three senior couples who really enjoyed the guided walk. The weather was beautiful and our…
Tongariro Guided Hike
Thank you to Hiro and Jordan. I had a great time and would highly recommend Adrift. Great if you aren’t confident t…
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071
Frequently Asked Questions about Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk
How much is Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk?
Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk price starts from C$199.00. Discover and book Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk on Tripadvisor
What is the Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk cancellation policy?
Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk?
Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk is hosted by Adrift Tongariro. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Adrift Tongariro on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk on Tripadvisor
How much time do I need for Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk?
On average, this experience will take approximately 4h. Discover and book Half Day Volcanic Explorer Guided Walk on Tripadvisor