Top Attractions in Uturoa
What travellers are saying
- I dis this hike at 11 am and it was very hot- bring water! I stopped a couple times to take photos and cool down, and it took me an hour to get to the top. It is a well-maintained trail, but a steady incline up so you should be reasonably fit. Amazing views at the top- this was my favorite thing I did while in Raiatea.Written April 1, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- You can find stuff to buy both inside the 2-story building in the center of town square or outside at the small stalls. This shopping area is located just about 1 block from the cruise ship terminal and easy to find. Inside the main building you will find fresh local fruits for purchase and a fast food restaurant. Upstairs and outside you will find many stalls selling inexpensive Tahitian black pearl jewelry (necklaces, ear rings, wrist jewelry) shells, lots of clothing for men & women and craft items.
BOTTOM LINE: You will fins many souvenir items here for just about everyone on your list. I have shopped here twice and love to see the local fruits on the first floor. Prices are among the lowest you'll find, especially on pearl jewelry that will not break the bank. Everyone back home will never know you did not need to spend a fortune for the nice looking items. Worth your time to explore. BOTTOM LINE: 8/10
Easy walk from the ship.Written February 19, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My daughter and I rode a 3 hour horse trek with Marion, who was kind and is a very competent horsewoman. Rode up the mountain along a beautiful trail, then returned to the main road which took us to the water. We took off the saddles and rode bareback into the sea. What an amazing experience!! Her horses and ponies are sturdy and well-cared for. I do recommend having some riding experience, and it's very helpful to speak French. I believe she does have shorter ride options for those who prefer it. (I hadn't ridden in a while and was sore the next couple of days! ;)Written December 10, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My spouse and I decided to go for the pearl dive tour and we were not disappointed! Summer (manager and American ex-pat) was very helpful and reached out to me shortly after booking the tour online. We were only on Raiatea for 1 day so she made suggestions of other things to do after we finished our morning pearl dive.
The tour took about 3 hours. Reno and Summer boated us out to the overwater hut and reef. Summer explained and Reno demonstrated how pearls are farmed. We snorkeled to find our oysters in the reef and Reno opened them for us because they keep the oyster alive to make more pearls. We got very lucky and had large pearls in our oysters! We finished up the tour by snorkeling the reef and shopping the pearl store in the hut.
If you are debating whether or not you should do this while in French Polynesia, I would say stop thinking and just book it! Not only were we glad that we did the pearl farm but it also gave us a chance to see the island of Raiatea. Raiatea is a very nice, well maintained island that isn't super touristy.Written January 8, 2023
- I got six very nice loose B grade pearls here and was able to bargain for 25% off by buying in bulk and paying cash. They were very high quality with excellent lustre and color, the nicest ones I got in Tahiti.
It's the pink pearl farm over the water right off the main road a ways south of Uturoa so you can't miss it.Written July 27, 2021
- A large stone structure fronts a series of thatched boutiques which sell a variety of arts and crafts, clothes, scarves etc. All in a very pretty settingWritten November 20, 2022
- good place to visit on the docks very close buy and have lots of ietms to buy and shop . budget price and the view is good from the topWritten October 23, 2022
- We were picked up about 15 mins late from our hotel, there was no call etc to inform us or reception that they were running late.
When we were picked up we arrived at the marina in raiatea and was asked if we had our own masks for snorkeling, we had booked a tour of the vanilla farm and pearl farm so was a bit surprised to be told of snorkeling, eventually it transpired that we were at the wrong part for the tour we wanted but the tourguide came over eventually and picked us up.
The tour gide then picked up another guest who was destined for the snorkeling tour but this only became apparent when the guy asked the tour guide half way across to tahaa!
Luckily the tour guide was excellent and managed to come up with a plan so the guy could go snorkeling whilst we went on the tour as planned. There was clearly a bit of disorganisation at head office but the guide dealt with it well, the guy got to snorkel and was very happy and we got to go to all 3 places (rum distillery as well as vanilla farm and pearl farm).
I recommend the tour but check you're on the right one first before you depart!Written October 30, 2022
- Four of us booked a private half day tour while in Raiatea on a cruise ship. It was apparent we made the right decision when the tour from the cruise ship left the dock with fifty people crowded on one boat and we had Captain Vaita and the boat to ourselves. Vaita took us to four sites, each uniquely different. He played the ukulele and sang to us as we journeyed to each spot. At the vanilla plantation, we had our own private demonstration. (Cruise ship tour was all crowded together in a different location.) Next spot was the coral garden drift snorkel which was amazing. We were the only boat there and had the place to ourself. For lunch we went to a motu that Vaita’s parents own. We were served the freshest fruit and delicious cake that was freshly baked. Vaita made each of us a head wreath from a palm leaf. The last stop was the pearl farm. Again we had the place to ourselves. The demonstration was very interesting and we were able to purchase some handcrafted jewelry at the end. Vaita got us back to the dock in plenty of time before the cruise ship departed. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and wouldn’t change a thing. It’s truly a 5+ excursion. We’d highly recommend Destination Lagon and book a private tour if possible. It is more personable and you can tailor it to your interests. The cost is a bargain for what is offered and about the same price as the cruise ship crowded tour. Plus our tour was longer and offered more activities. Thanks Vaita for a tour we will remember forever.Written May 26, 2022
- We did the full day tour with kayak and marae/island visit, it was so great! Our guide Vivien was simply amazing: very knowledgeable, energetic and funny guy - we really had the best time with him and learned a lot! It was a great way for us to experience Raiatea and we highly recommend it! Merci Vivien!Written July 20, 2021
- Via the Raiatea tourist agency, we six Windstar cruise passengers booked a same-day ebike ride with Esland Bikes. We were promptly picked up and delivered to Esland by Hilton, a gracious and knowledgeable staff member. We were carefully fitted to our individual ebikes and provided with thorough operating instructions. Staff then gave us directions to a local beach. Scenery along the route was stunning and neighborhoods were everso lovely. Most importantly, the road was in great condition! We found the beach and enjoyed a swim. Upon our return, we met Gilles, company owner who provided background about his life, family and business. Cost was less than half of similar cruise ship excursions. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!Written October 19, 2022
- We were staying on Taha’a and had already explored it on bike so we wanted to see Raiatea. Couldn’t be happier that we booked a tour with this company. We had the most amazing experience seeing Raiatea on the water and saw some of the most breathtaking views we’ve ever seen. The owner is extremely pleasant and has a wealth of knowledge to share at every stop we made. I could not have wanted anything more. If you’re in the area I’d highly recommend you book a day trip.Written December 6, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Uturoa
Uturoa Attractions Information
|Local Time||Thursday 2:58 PM|