Points of Interest & Landmarks • Historic Walking Areas
Top Attractions in La Romana
What travellers are saying
- This place has so much character great restaurants a beautiful scenery. Do not miss it take your golf cart and go up there. They even have a bar that you can dance at late at night.Written September 8, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful day! Our guide José was super. Très ok is to discover thé local Area. Then We did 45 min of snorkeling, went after on Catalina island, enjoyed the beach and the crystal blue water with a good Pina colada in a pineapple. After that went to a super restaurant for lunch with an amazing view of the ocean. The food was insane! Worth your money. But if you really want the Best spot for snorkeling i’ve seen better … not a lot of fish and all the same fish…. And for an undetermined amount of time, bring your snorkeling gear as they cannot lend you some for health issues.Written September 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Good tour through the sugar cane fields and local town. Tour took us through the town and see the people that live in the community, they are very happy to see people and the children greet you with joy. Our guide was cool and spoke at least 5 languages - which is impressive. Tour was about 3 hours. They broke down some sugar cane for us to sample. Recommend you bring a bandana if not not they sell them for $5. There is a stop that provides light snacks, water and soft drinks. If you are interested in buying souvenirs, bring cash. Also the pick up didn’t come inside our hotel, we had to go outside the gate for pickup. Would recommend this tourWritten August 22, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A scenic 16th century Mediterranean village created in 1976, on the shores of "Río Chavón", houses the campus of a very important Dominican institution - the "Altos de Chavón School of Art and Design". It was founded in 1984 and offers courses on Digital Design, Graphic Design, Fashion Design, Illustration and Fine Arts. The initiative provides art and design education to talented and qualified students, with scholarships being granted to those that cannot afford the connected costs. Its association with "Parsons The New School for Design" allows the most talented to pursue further studies in its New York's campus. Take your time and stroll along the village of "Altos de Chavón", home of this important experience. And don't forget to bring your cameras! Fond memories to take home! Enjoy!Written September 30, 2020
- A nice area in the making, is one of very few public area that you can go to the beach and set in any of the restaurants in La Romana, Santo Domingo.Written December 5, 2021
- You definitely have to experience the beautiful beach while visiting. It felt so good to relax in the waters of the Caribbean and look out at the expanse of blue. Relaxation to the Max!!!Written February 3, 2019
- Very informative and yet sad.
The history of the indigenous peoples is all to common.
Still a nice place to visit and nice exhibits.Written February 8, 2020
- While visiting "Altos de Chavón", you cannot miss "The Art Gallery". A small gallery exhibiting paintings, photographies, drawings, sculptures and crafts by international and Dominican artists, even including works by the local students of the "Altos de Chavón School of Art and Design". A quick visit and an opportunity to buy works of future famous artists, encouraging and rewarding their efforts toward their future careers. Enjoy!Written September 30, 2020
- Stopped by here with my Dominican family for lunch. There is a wide choice from Pizza to Chicken and more. A few shops to browse round. Spend an hour or two hereWritten September 25, 2022
- I visited this place in December of 1980, with some classmates who had heard about it, I found enlightening, some what educational, and over all enjoyable.Written March 23, 2019
- It’s a Dominican version of Walmart without the toys lol
But if you want American products it’s a good buyWritten October 27, 2021
- Beautiful park in the middle of the city, plenty of area to shop, people selling artifacts during the day, boutiques, park has benches to sit and relax. Plenty of sandwich delicacy at night.I would not advised to be there for a non local. The church Parroquia Rosa Lima is beautiful to see enjoy.Written January 26, 2022
- Professional driver, Accurate, Easy to deal with, Good price and very safe. I will recommend this agency to everyone..Written September 9, 2022
- I heard that this was a bucket list course - the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean - and it certainly lived up to the hype! It’s quite pricey for non Campa de Caso guests (500 USD) but worth it IMHO. The layout is both breath taking with 7 holes along the coast line including three par 3s. Caddies are a MUST here. My caddy Ramon helped with the club selection and the correct lines of the tee. Trust me - you NEED local knowledge with the amount of wind out there. Many holes do NOT play the measured yardage so having a good caddy will save shots and golf balls lol
Be warned - this course is TOUGH. I’m a 1.5 index and took a beating fighting 20-30 mph crossing trade winds off the ocean. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you shoot considerably higher than your handicap
The staff is super friendly and very accommodating. The lady in the pro shop was a sweetheart and help me pick out souvenirs to take home. The caddy master spent 20 minutes talking to me about the history of the course and the layout. The folks at the bar were extremely nice. Even the maintenance guys waved and complimented my good shots lol. I highly recommend playing hereWritten August 9, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about La Romana
- The best day trips from La Romana according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- From Punta Cana: Saona Island & Altos de Chavon Day Trip with Lunch and Open Bar
- Full-Day Catalina Island Snorkeling Tour from Punta Cana
- Full-Day Catalina Island Snorkeling Tour from La Romana
- Recorrido de Día Completo a Isla Saona y Altos de Chavon
- Catamaran Catalina Island Day Trip with Lunch