Top Attractions in Grand Bahama Island
What travellers are saying
- Nice way to spend an afternoon, or some part of the day. Tons of plants and birds flitting all around. Still some visible damage from the hurricane. There is a cafe but it was closed due to rain - and the whole park was planning to close. I am a believer that if you advertise hours you should be open during those hours.Written September 24, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Always wanted to go to the Bahamas; chose Freeport over Nassau for the first trip. Booked a flight/hotel package.
The flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport was ~30 minutes. Bahamian immigration was easy; I received a 1 week visa. All the airport officials were very easy to speak to.
After a short taxi ride, I arrived at the Flamingo Hotel and Marina by Taino Beach. This is a complex of four hotels that share a common pool, restaurant, beach area, and other amenities. Note number 1; bring lots of cash. The Bahamian dollar is accepted on a par with the US dollar, and many (taxis) do not accept credit cards.
My room was on the third floor facing the marina and canal. Note number 2: the hotel has no elevator. Check-in was easy; $20 key deposit. There is a gift shop in the lobby, but open with spotty hours. The room was simple and clean; daily maid service.
The amenities were very good. The pool is 4.5 feet at its deepest and has a slight current that is great for a flotation device. There is a nice water slide; I tried it. There are plenty of lounge chairs, a shower and lavatories right there. The beach is cleaned every morning that I was there. Jet skis are available to rent.
During the afternoon, especially when a cruise ship arrives, there are activities provided around the pool area. There is a small playground. The restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch only. A water taxi runs every hour or so to Port Lucaya and back. $8 round trip.
I relaxed, hung out at the pool, got up early to swim in the ocean at sunrise (beautiful), and took the water taxi to Port Lucaya in the heat of a Sunday afternoon.
There are SCUBA diving operations nearby. I booked a dive but it was cancelled for lack of enough divers. Oh well, next trip.
Leaving Freeport was also easy. Everyone I met during these three days was friendly and helpful.
I shall return...Written September 14, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- With the Casino still closed the Market place was quiet with a number of closed shops. Those that were open and the stall vendors were fine. For a local Greek restaurant Zorba is excellent. Zsa Zsa bar a fun place. All in all if you are in Freeport would recommend stopping at Lucaya.Written November 3, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- One of the two major breweries in The Bahamas, if you are travelling to Grand Bahama and enjoy beer it's worth stopping at the Bahamian Brewery. Makers of Sands Beer, you can tour the brewery, do a tasting, and buy beer to take with you when you leave.Written June 28, 2020
- Awesome and stunning experience - we had a encounter with two dolphins. A good guide, reasonable price. 90 minutes we will never forget !Written September 14, 2022
- Buy your tickets at the front desk of the Flamingo Hotel before going to the dock. Leaves on the hour (or there abouts). Returns at 10 minutes after the hour from Pelican Bay dock.Written September 24, 2022
- We enjoyed the interesting caves and mangrove boardwalk but the highlight was Gold Rock Beach for quiet swimming. We did pay $10 for a coconut but that was my choice and things are so expensive here that I’ve sort of given up…Written October 28, 2022
- Make sure to check out his lovely beach with sugar sands, turquoise water and black coral out croppings. Banana Bay restaurant is located by this beach.Written March 10, 2020
- When we got to Freeport via our cruise line, we took a taxi to the market and was massively disappointed. We shopped for about an hour and asked the taxi company to take us to the beach instead.
The taxi company took us here. (Clearly in collusion with the beach club ... lol ... gotta respect the hustle). It wasn't expensive to go in so we did. We opted not to purchase any beach chairs or umbrellas. No need.
1. The changing area wasn't very private. That was a bummer. Still, we made do.
2. The beach was BEAUTIFUL!!!
3. The bar served some yummy drinks.
4. Everything was a bit pricey, but I didn't care. We're in the Caribbean enjoying the sunshine and water.
5. Yes people try to sell things to you. ... they didn't bother the folks who didn't buy the chairs though ... hahaha.
6. The food was really good. :) It was EXPENSIVE ... but good. Just know you'll be spending some cash ... There are two little restaurant stands, one only accepts cash so make sure you bring some.Written March 10, 2020
- The beach is nice but few go there because Xanadu Resort is closed. It's difficult to find the beach unless you are a local and know how to get to itWritten September 10, 2019
- Went on a kayak and snorkeling trip with Calabash Eco Adventures and loved the snorkeling around the Cay - completely worth it going out there. Reef is looking very alive with hard corals and an abundance of tropical fish. Had one nurse shark swimming round us towards the end (they're harmless and uninterested in us), and then shortly afterwards found one resting on top of the reef (somewhat unusual as they like to sleep under overhangs/in caves). The resting nurse shark decided it didn't like snorkelers staring at it, and swam away - straight underneath me! I could have touched it if I wanted, but I left it alone - scary and exciting. It was not nesting season for the protected birds, so we didn't see the reason this is a protected area, but you probably don't go to Peterson Cay to see birds.Written November 4, 2021
- Last port of call on our 4 day cruise. There are several local booths in this area. few other places to eat and get a drink. Just a nice little place to walk around and pass a few hours.Written March 15, 2020
- Daddy Brown seems to be a local hero - well-known in the Freeport area. He makes a delicious fresh conch salad, and is very charismatic!Written April 15, 2022
- Beautiful beach, white sand, boating, swimming, hiking, well maintained, facilities and great weather.Written April 29, 2022
- We grabbed a couple of chairs and had a few beers and lunch. Very enjoyable afternoon. However some will approach you to ask you if you want your hair braided or if you want a massage. Not to pushy though. The structures in the water are 10$ an hour a little pricey if you have a few kids who want to try them out.Written April 2, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Grand Bahama Island
- The best day trips from Grand Bahama Island according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- East End Island Sightseeing Tour from Freeport
- Day Trip To Freeport, Grand Bahama - Tickets only
- Sweeting's Cay Private boat charter