What travellers are saying
- We visited last year when we got engaged and the nightrise was pushed back so we couldn’t experience it. This year as newlyweds we wanted to see it.Written December 3, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I had always neglected Sunshine Meadows on my way across the Rockies for many years until last summer - don’t make the same mistake.
Sunshine Meadows is an absolutely stunning place. The views are amazing and so are the hikes. I think you could spend days hiking the area but if you’re coming a for a day, you’ll find plenty of suitable places to visit.
Be sure to bring enough water and snacks because there is no store once you leave the upper station of the gondola and it can get very hot up there.
Truly an amazing place, definitely recommend.Written November 15, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I started this hike at around 10 AM. The parking lot was not full, although there were a little over 10 cars, so I found a parking spot pretty easily. For the first 15 minutes or so, the trail is surrounded by trees. Once you go up a bit, the views open up and you can see the panoramic view of the Icefields Parkway, Mount Athabasca, and Hilda Peak.
The trail gains its height with several switchbacks but it gets steeper fairly gradually, so even if you haven't done many hikes before, take several breaks and use hiking poles if needed, and you will eventually reach the top of the hill.
The trails gets fairly flat on top of the hill, and soon you will be encountered with the amazing view of the Saskatchewan Glacier in the far distance, which is the largest outflow glacier in the Columbia Icefields.
When you encounter an intersection, do NOT go right, as you will lose the view of the glacier. Instead, keep going straight or if you want a better view of the glacier, go left by following the yellow markers. In less than 10 minutes, you will see the complete view of the glacier with nothing blocking the view.
I personally think this trail can be classified as "family friendly." My parents who are 65+ years old also did this hike with me. They had to take several breaks but even with those breaks, it took 1 hour for us to reach the top of the hill and see the glacier and nearly 2 hours to finish the entire hike (including stops for photos). Anyone who has done lots of hiking should find this trail very easy and should be able to finish the hike way less than 2 hours. FYI, my parents used hiking poles but I didn't find any need to use them, although you may want to use them when there is snow on the trail.
This hike is a MUST if you are visiting Banff/Jasper because the trail is short and not steep but you can enjoy an amazing view (You cannot see the Saskatchewan Glacier on any road). You can also combine this hike with another if you are able and time permits. I did this hike in the morning and then Big Beehive hike at Lake Louise in the afternoon on the same day, and it was totally doable.
P.S. When I came down to the parking lot at around noon after hike, there were TONS of cars. Arrive well before noon if you want to get a good parking spot.Written August 12, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A challenging escape room, but good fun nonetheless. We didn't complete in time (close) but myself and two teenage sons had an enjoyable hour.Written July 28, 2023
- So much fun i highly recommend. We were lucky enough to have Tadhg as our guide, he was excellent. This is something that is fun to do as a local.Written November 30, 2023
- Everything about this trip was fabulous - the location and scenery, the horses, the ride options, the food and the accommodations. But most importantly, the people are fantastic - the guides from Alpine Stables are wonderful and will make you feel comfortable and secure regardless of your riding experience, and the MCs and the other riders make this trip an experience not to be missed. Do not hesitate to book your adventure now!Written November 1, 2017
- Stunning scenery and great horses. I would have given this a 5/5 if it was not for the leader. She was very knowledgeable but overshares constantly. We had a 4 hour monologue in a loud voice about her room mates, podcasts, travel plans etc At one point a fellow rider asked her for some quiet time to listen to the sounds of nature. She managed a full 10 mins without talking which was great. But her loud incessant chatter spoilt the majestic wilderness we were riding in.Written September 12, 2023
- Dave was such a great guide! Extremely knowledgeable and made us feel comfortable with his sense of humor. Safety discussion at beginning was very thorough. Rapids were rated 2/3/4... so enough to keep you on your toes. Thanks again. Definitely recommend. Can't wait to go againWritten August 24, 2023
- Just rented a mountain bike for a quick ride round Banff trails. I have no local knowledge and done no research. Service was quick, friendly and professional. Advice on the best rides for me to try was perfect and I had no issues at all. Really recommend this business.Written July 29, 2023
- Had a great private hike with Jak last week! I came to Banff with limited time as a solo traveler and I wasn’t feeling up to the crowds, large bus tours, navigating/parking, et cetera! A private custom hike with White Mountain Adventures was for sure the way to go!
I was nervous about the “difficult” rated hike I chose, but with Jak’s encouragement, positive attitude and funny quips, we made it to the top of the trail, no problem! So worth it! I knew he had my back the whole way—he reminded me that a slow and steady pace would work best overall. Jak seemed super knowledgeable—I loved picking his brain about the Banff area, Canadian history, the local flora and fauna and his experiences in the backcountry!
I left wishing I had scheduled one more trip with White Mountain Adventures during my stay in Canada. Next time I’m in Banff I’ll be booking again! Thanks Jak!Written October 3, 2023
- Brandon guided our group on a work retreat to do the Via Ferrata and we had a blast! I want to bring my family back here to do it again. Totally the best thing to do in Banff. Need to be a little adventurous though.Written September 20, 2023
- So pleased we booked this tour. We had a fantastic day and fitted so much in thanks to Tyler and Dominique assisting with our own adventure style tour. We managed to visit Johnston Canyon, Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. At each destination we had plenty of time to explore and take photos before boarding the bus and going on to our next scenic stop. Great value for money and highly recommend.Written September 25, 2023
- We rented snow shoes from Bactrax because we were given a discount from our hotel. When we went to rent them, they did not have our size available. The guy took my phone number and said he would call as soon as a pair came in. Within 45 minutes he called me and as we were right up the street we went and picked them up right then. He knew we were on a short timeline as we had a guided tour to get to, and he already had the contract drafted by the time we got to the store. As we were waiting our turn, we noticed they gave personal attention to every customer. And they had a lot of customers. Return of the snow shoes was very quick and easy. They rent out all kinds of winter sports gear and make sure it fits properly before you leave.Written March 17, 2018
- Great rental experience with Banff Cycle. Staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about good cycling routes. Nice Trek bike available that was in good condition. Would definitely rent here again!Written October 21, 2023
- Another great season at Norquay. Love the fact that when you wake up and see snow in town, you know Norquay is where the fun is at. Great staff and awesome terrain. The one down side is most staff seem to have headphones on. Bit of a turn off but all in all, good times! See you next season!!Written May 3, 2023