3 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- This is a hidden gem in Hamilton, Ontario. It is a relatively small operation but a private tour takes about 2 hours. Erica, our guide, was exceptionally knowledgeable about generous with the information she provided. She did not rush us and opened as many of the exhibits as was possible allowing us to handle the reptiles, tortoises, etc. The opportunity to experience these animals was a real treat ... some of us having to challenge our fears to handle and touch things like snakes. They really aren't slimy at all!! We had the opportunity to pet and play with a hedge hog but the piece de resistance was Iris, the 6 month old, two toed sloth. They brought her out with her blanket and each of us (we were a group of 4 adults) had the opportunity to hold, feed and pet her. She was adorable as you can see from the photos.
All of the staff are knowledgeable and engage authentically with visitors. We learned a great deal about the creatures that some of us didn't know .
We highly recommend this little gem. It would be fun for child and, it is possible to book a birthday party there. They also cater to schools and will bring some of the animals to visit the classroom.
One suggestion, take a bottle of water with you. It is quite hot and humid. It feels hotter and more humid the longer you're there. We were all perspiring and in need of water which isn't available there. Do yourself a favour and take a bottle each with you.
They have a second location in Ottawa which we've not seen but if it's half as good as Hamilton, it will be more than worth it.Written October 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Our grandsons, 3 and 15 month thoroughly enjoyed their visit to the petting area. They were captivated with their interactions with all the animals and were totally entertained for a good hour; not a small feat with little ones. We were fortunate to have warm but not hot weather during our morning visit. The atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed. The animals were gentle and comfortable being touched. As staff wandered around doing chores, it was clear that these rescued animals were well loved and cared for.
Check in was efficient and quick and the young man assisting us gave us an overview of amenities.
This visit was reasonably priced and worth every penny. We plan to return.Written May 13, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- quietly nestled into a small part of Churchill Park lies the Friends of the Aviary in Hamilton. although not a huge facility the first thing I noticed is how dedicated the staff is to their birds. It doesn't take long to cover the whole place so we took our time and tried to have a chat with many of the lovely birds with some responding. you see pictures of these animals but rarely come this close so the colours were very impressive. I will be back but next time in the summer so we can get a better look at the surrounding grounds. highly recommended.Written October 31, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hamilton
- These places are best for zoos & aquariums in Hamilton:See more zoos & aquariums in Hamilton on Tripadvisor