Military Museums in Hamilton
Military Museums in Hamilton, Ontario
Military Museums in Hamilton
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- Great tour - we were able to explore most areas on the ship, the few roped off areas were still viewable. Information signs were plentiful and easy to understand, made our self guided tour a great experience. Be aware, lots of climbing ladders, a few tight spaces - would be a challenge for someone with mobility issues.
We went for the 79th birthday celebration, got to see the big gun fired and talked with a number of former servicemen (including one who actually served on the HMCS Haida!)
Admission cost was very reasonable - go see this one!Written August 29, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After an outdoor-only visit to Dundurn Castle, our next stop was the Hamilton Military Museum conveniently located southside of the castle grounds, just steps from York Blvd. Originally a gate house built 40 metres away, this 1830s building was moved to its current location in the 1970s. Since we visited during Doors Open Hamilton (May 7), admission was free.
We got a friendly hello from staff at the entrance hall and before long we were on a leisurely self-guided tour. Our time was spent mostly on the first floor browsing the framed displays on the walls--an interesting assemblage of historical information, colourful illustrations and either genuine artifacts or well-made reproductions. There is even a selfie booth/dress-up station where visitors can pose wearing a military coatee a la 1812. Upstairs, there are a few more artifacts, a small movie room, an activity room where kids could play and a current exhibition about 3 Ontarians based on their surviving WWI letters.
This is a small museum and it took us less than 30 mins to explore it.Written June 9, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Had the opportunity to visit this museum on Labor Day after visiting the HMCS Haida as part of my trip to Canada. My brother and myself saw the sign for it and decided since we were there to visit it. It was a wise choice. The curator Captain S.J. Waldron (Ret'd) made us feel very welcome and even took some of the exhibits out of their cases for us to handle, us being the only visitors that day. You could tell that museum was a labor of love on Captain Waldron's part. Highly recommend this museum to anybody interested in military history in spite of how it covers only a small part of Canadian military history.Written October 10, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hamilton
- These places are best for military museums in Hamilton:See more military museums in Hamilton on Tripadvisor