- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
6 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- This is an important site that helps understand the traditional way of life of the Blackfoot people who have inhabited the area for millennia. The interpretive centre is large and modern, several floors high each of which contains displays explaining the importance of buffalo jumps in the ancient tradition, and the very top floor is an outdoor walk that overlooks the real site where buffaloes were hunted. This point offers also an excellent panoramic view of the surroundings.
Head-smashed-in-buffalo jump has been designated a world heritage site by UNESCO, which should be a good reason to visit in itself. But UNESCO designation aside, this site should be in the to-do list for any visitor in the area.Written November 16, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We stopped in our return from Glacier NP to Calgary -- Fort Macleod is kind of midway. We are museum buffs and we're pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the exhibits, the restored portions of the original fort, and the descriptive materials supporting the story of the original purpose and challenges of the mounties, and the role they played in settling of this part of Alberta and western Canada. It was a great complement to our earlier visit to the Smashed Head Buffalo Jump museum, which covered some of the same material from the perspective of the native Americans who first roamed the land. A fun stop, highly recommend.Written September 27, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great local brewery, trued several beers and enjoyed them all. Great atmosphere friendly staff. Make sure to stop in on your travels.Written July 17, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Headed out to Fort Macleod to get some live music in. The Kiss tribute band was playing at the Empress. What a cool place. Old school theater with comfortable seating, alcohol sales and amazing sound. I'll be backWritten July 24, 2022
- I have played this course a number of times over the years and have always found it to be a challenge largely due to the many hundreds of old cottonwood and poplar trees that essentially line every fairway. This course defiantly puts a premium on finding the fairway off the tee. Played it again this past week and found the course to be in great shape for mid September and loved playing it even though I never seem to score well here and the latest rounds were no different. My only complaint about the course is on the day we played it a few of the pin placements were ridiculously placed on the most sloped area of the green. Particularly No. 9 which was absurd. Almost impossible to stop a ball anywhere close. I don’t mind a challenging pin placement but these went beyond that. Otherwise I enjoy playing this course and will continue to play it in the future.Written September 22, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Fort Macleod
- The top attractions to visit in Fort Macleod are:
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site
- The Fort (Museum of the North West Mounted Police)
- Stronghold Brewing Co.
- Empress Theatre
- Fort Macleod Golf Club