- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Showing results 1-30 of 268
What travellers are saying
- Time share there. zip lines over beautiful plantations, even the kids can do it, horseback riding to the most beautiful places with terrific guides. even the ride from the airport along the water past little private beaches.Written December 2, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The beach is long but not very deep in places. The sand is nice. The water from the Pink Hotel towards Diamond Head is terrible. Full of rocks and lots of traffic from surfers and sail boat tours. From the Pink Hotel towards the West is great. The water has soft sand and you can walk out for at least 100 yards. But be prepared for congestion. Make sure you bring your own towels, chairs and most importantly an umbrella. The prices for rentals vary from $20 - $100 an HOUR.Written December 4, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The snorkeling and surfing were great but we also enjoyed viewing the wildlife on shore. Community volunteers were on duty each day and evening to create safety zones for the beached seals and turtles. They were still easily visible. One evening we counted more than 20 turtles.Written December 5, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This beach is not easy to get to as there is no designated parking for it however it is nothing short of AMAZING from end to end! The sand is soft like powdered sugar and the water was aqua blue. We drove to most of the major beaches around all of Oahu. Realizing we missed this one, we made it a priority on our last day and was so worth it! Do NOT miss it! Highly suggest a taking in a sunrise here. Note- there are no restrooms.Written December 2, 2022
- Good beach Interesting to see the turtles in the sea, but you could really only see the tops of their shells. Occasionally one would pop its head out, but you had to be quick to see that. Worth seeing, I guess, if you are in the area.Written November 20, 2022
- The pictures are spot on, it is very clean and lots of room to spread out. The water was great and along the rock wall you could snorkel and see Green Sea turtles.Written November 29, 2022
- An absolute gem. This beach is situated on a cove. Water is clear and waves often calm. Sand white, soft. So beautiful. This would be a great place to stay. We have just done day trips to this beach.Written December 4, 2022
- Up high or on the beach, a great place to relax and watch the surf, surfers, and the turtles. Once you have been there and you leave Hawaii, your mind can return to this spot and always remember its beauty. We have sometimes seen 50 to 100 turtles sunning on the beach. When on Maui, this is one spot we always return to.Written November 22, 2022
- Go early!
Bring your snorkel and enjoy the beach
There are lifeguards there and showers plus toilets.
The water is warm and the sand is softWritten November 1, 2022
- We spent a couple of hours walking around this area which has an ancient feel about it. The map provided by the Park Service is very useful as there is no signage on sight (out of respect to the continuing cultural importance of the area). Just past the small gift store is an outdoor theatre with an short film which shouldn't be missed. We were very glad that we took the time to visit this special part of Hawai'i.Written November 24, 2022
- The natural beauty of Hanalei Bay is worth the drive if you are staying on another part of the island. We swam and stayed for sunset which was particularly spectacular due to ash from the volcano activity on the big island of Hawaii. While the air was a bit "fuzzy," there was no noticeable odor.Written December 5, 2022
- We don't go here for the black sand beach. We go for the lava tube and the cliffs. The lava tube has a low entrance but once inside you can stand up. It's short but ends at the ocean entrance where you can watch the small waves roll in. Then cross the beach and take the trail up to the cliffs where the waves crash. On a good day you'll be a few feet away from wave spray that is over your head after already travelling dozens of feet.
Down side is the very restrictive scheduling. You have to pick your day and time slot at least one day in advance. Tourists like us are trying to capture as much as we can on the Hana Highway and it's unfortunate that timing the visit for this park can drive the decision making. This system wasn't in place on our last visit in 2017.Written November 6, 2022
- We came here really for the turtles I guess as passing through and I noticed one... of course people were too close as usual... but what I didn't realize is that this is actually a normal beach where there are life guards and people actually come to swim/sunbath etc. - I expected a middle of nowhere wild beach because of the turtles.. I guess I was wrong!
TIP: there are some souvenirs stops here as well - I purchased a tiki here, they are of course highly prices because of the location, $60 USD, but this was the only place I have come across in 3 weeks between 4 major islands that had nice tikis that had also HAWAII carved/engraved on them!Written November 23, 2022
- This is a lovely clean beach in a nice location. It is a bit on the smaller side; however, the coast and location make it great for kids in the group. It does have a public beach, with restrooms. No complaints here.Written October 11, 2022
- Makena Beach is the most untouched shorelines of Maui Consist of Big beach and little beach. You can travel from one to another. We visited the big beach early in the mornings and it felt like a private beach that we had to our disposal.
It was such a gorgeous beach with soft gold sand, blue and emerald crystal water. One of the most beautiful beach in Hawaii that we experienced with great sand, lava rocks and amazing waves.
There were some food trucks to eat across the road to the parking lot. Admission fee is $10 for car and $5 for each person
Would highly recommend visiting Makena Beach while in Maui.Written December 1, 2022