24 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- The building itself is very interesting. The temporary exhibits were local artists, which was informatively presented and very interesting. The gold exhibit and Indigenous presentations were very well done. If your interests are pre-Colombian, this is for you. It’s a good morning trip and it’s located in a great spot to walk around town as well.Written November 16, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We were looking for something interesting to do on our one day in San Jose Costa Rica and the Jade Museum was perfect. Beautifully laid out and covered multiple aspects of Costa Rican culture, not just the jade artifacts. We booked an amazing airbnb (Cando) right across the street that featured a courtyard garden and had a wonderful time.Written November 26, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My husband and I had one day in San Jose before our tour started and we are so glad we picked this museum from all the others in the area. We knew very little of Costa Rica history and learned so much. The exhibits were so interesting and there were many helpful details and videos to explain the exhibits. The outdoor courtyard was very pleasant. The butterfly garden was so beautiful and peaceful.Written December 3, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great to get a bit of Culture and history of Costa Rica! Was told to check this location out and was pleased. Very interesting art work from old to new. Talented artist across the country make up this wonderful Museum.Written August 29, 2023
- It was excellent with 2 qualifiers. It is really for younger kids (8 or under) and most of the exhibitions are in Spainish although many of the guides speak EnglishWritten August 13, 2023
- I spent hours with Conall, the owner of this wonderful gallery. Incredible variety of art and artesania. The prices are excellent and since it is free trade this means that the artists get paid a great deal more than from the regular art galleries or artesania shops. Conall shares a great deal with many ex pats who have made Costa Rica their home. He has traveled to all the various regions in Costa Rica and has developed close friendships with the artists. Due to COVID he had to let go many employees so now essentially is running the gallery alone. Please make sure to call ahead prior to going to the gallery. it is VERY centrally locat4d, across from a small but beautiful park next to the Sleep Inn hotel. I would trust this gallery over any other in San Jose.Written June 3, 2023
- Free admission to the museum of contemporary art. It’s an interesting building. We did not get to the area upstairs which was a pity.Written April 9, 2023
- This was my first trip to a jade museum, and I was impressed with the variety of colors it comes in. Descriptions and labeling were informative.Written February 22, 2023
- The museum is interesting for anyone visiting Costa Rica. The visit starts with a walk through a butterfly garden, very nice! Then you can learn more about the history of this tiny (and now peaceful) country, one of the most stable in Latin-America, if not the most stable. Finally, the archeology section is quite interesting, especially because you do not expect it here.Written December 2, 2023
- Probably one of my favourite places on the planet. Please - never change this museum. Don't upgrade it!
It truly is a wonderful treasure, and has bought me immense joy.Written August 5, 2022
- Now a small museum, this was the house of a previous president who was a medical doctor and social reformer of Costa Rica. Not a lot to see, but interesting for a few minutes and the Russian embassy is across the street.Written February 26, 2016
- This used to be the main building of the old airport. Wonderful building, lovely art both in and out of the venue. We just loved this.Written December 28, 2015
- Do you like contemporary art. Depending on the show you might like this place. It was free the day I went because only 2 rooms were open. I saw mostly video art. Check the website and if the show appeals it might be worth a look . But if this is not your thing skip it. The contemporary sculpture in the lovely nearby park is free and definitely worth a look. .Written March 1, 2018
- This is a low tech but fantastic museum, with beautiful specimens and a lot of information (mostly Spanish) on all kinds of bugs. The staff was super helpful and showed us their lab room with lots of living (and creepy) insects. The museum is hidden in the basement of the UCR Music building, and well worth a visit.Written January 14, 2020
- We were on a private tour of downtown San Jose with the itinerary pretty much up to us. We decided to skip the Jade museum and instead went here. It was a good decision. We found the museum better than expected. It wasn't crowded and there was a lot of exhibits to see and explore. Learned a lot. All in all an enjoyable visit.Written August 26, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about San Jose
- These are the best places for groups seeking museums in San Jose:See more museums for groups in San Jose on Tripadvisor