- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
What travellers are saying
- This is a fascinating museum that is more anthropological than anything else nonetheless jade is in the centre of everything. They have an amazingly well preserved of intact artifacts dating into the BC era.Written October 23, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Located near my hotel, I decided to visit it before leaving San Jose. Costs of entrance fees are posted at the window taking the payments. For children and adults, the fee is reduced from $11.00 to $6.00.
The first exhibit shows the Butterfly Garden where I noted some huge blue butterflies flying by. Other exhibits include the Pre-Columbian Artifacts, the colonization of Costa Rica, the history of its independence, etc.
What attracted me most are the huge , beautiful trees and plants around the museums. The gardeners were very helpful in letting me know the names of these plants and trees. There is variety in the exhibits presented.
Highly recommended to visit. Bathrooms are modern, clean, and are FREE!Written November 29, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Probably one of my favourite places on the planet. Please - never change this museum. Don't upgrade it!
It truly is a wonderful treasure, and has bought me immense joy.Written August 5, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amazing museum with a phenomenal collection of pre-Colombian jade artefacts. All clearly labelled in Spanish and English. Lots of context given, and interesting comparisons with contemporary jewellery and sculpture in Europe and Asia. The background music was also very atmospheric, and suited the displays well.Written December 1, 2021
- A great place to learn about the country. We did this on day one of our trip before joining a tour. I would highly recommend. It stays with a lovely butterfly space, has ancient art, history of Costa Rica, pre Spanish , post Spanish all the way up to current - including pandemic. Don't miss the art in the old jail rooms.Written August 7, 2022
- Now a small museum, this was the house of a previous president who was a medical doctor and social reformer of Costa Rica. Not a lot to see, but interesting for a few minutes and the Russian embassy is across the street.Written February 26, 2016
Frequently Asked Questions about San Jose
- These are the best places for budget-friendly history museums in San Jose:See more budget-friendly history museums in San Jose on Tripadvisor