- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- A nice park with paved paths, a lake, sculptures made from wood and concrete, sitting areas, a running/cycling track, a snack shack, trees and bushes and amazing birdsong.Written November 15, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and wanted to visit a different national park in Costa Rica and close to San Jose. We decided to visit Braulio carillo and chose the second entrance of this park which is the easiest and most popular the Zurqui ranger station. It is just 12 miles (20 km) northeast of San Jose along the Guapiles Hwy (32) and we surprised with a mysterious but lovely animal (An anteater) that was hidden in a tree, this was the first time we ever saw an anteater in the wild such a lovely animal.Written June 21, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Not to miss definitely worth it. Go. A very natural habitat. spectacularbutterflies. com. Nice contemplative walk aroundDefinitely worth your time. Very beautiful little place. Wonderful butterflies abound. Great habitat. Beautiful contemplative walk along a beautiful stream as well. Come to this.Written February 4, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I passed by this huge, beautiful park on my way to the Atlantic Train Station. Located near the National Museum and a small museum for modern arts, it is easy to locate this park. The huge trees and beautiful plants provide shades to those resting at the benches.
Stop by and enjoy its beauty if you’re in the area.Written November 29, 2022
- We walked through the park because it was right next door to the Metropolitan Cathedral and we wanted a picture of us with the SJO Vive sign. Otherwise, there wasn't much to see here. Plenty of people, locals and tourists both.Written August 27, 2022
- My children and I (8 and 10 years old) took a day trip here from Orosi and it surpassed my expectations! The hiking trails were challenging, but fun, and beautiful. The lookout of the valley and volcanos (if the clouds clear) was gorgeous. We felt secluded and that we could really enjoy the rainforest around us, as there were few people that we met on the trail (and it was a Saturday). Crossing the small streams was fun for us all, and the waterfalls truly were beautiful. Completely recommend for a visit. We spent about 3 hours there, and hiked three of the trails. You actually have to "hike up" to the lookout and beginning of the trails. They offer walking sticks at the bottom - get them! Very helpful, especially for the muddy trail and crossing the streams.
Best surprise of all......we saw a quetzal!!! Such an amazing experience and lifetime memory!Written August 12, 2022
- After visiting the National Museum, I decided to walk down the Avenida 1. There are attractions along the way, one of which is this park. It has a tall statue of a Spanish Conquistidor plus those of some other famous persons.
The park is well-maintained and clean. I briefly rested here and enjoyed its ambience.Written November 29, 2022
- An enjoyable day of walking through as zoo that consists of meager offerings. Lots of birds and reptiles, a few monkeys and we did see on jaguar. There are far better zoos around the world but for the meager entrance fee, this is worth some time if you have time. Not a priority, but something fun to do for a few hours.Written February 27, 2022
- With our Nomad America 4x4 with rooftop tent we found this beautiful place to camp. Not busy we were alone.
Nice view of the lagoon (you can make a short walk), clean toilets, electricity, running water, cold shower. Even have soap and toilet paper!
I think we paid 3000 colones per person so price is good. Met the owner, is a friendly guy.
There is also shelter in case of rain.
Take an extra blanket cause it gets cold at night!Written December 8, 2018
- Sergio Guevara, who owns and operates Guanacaste Expeditions,
can offer you a customized tour with a true flavor of the country. He has an incredible knowledge of flora and fauna and of the places to experience what Costa Rica has to offer.He is able to take you quietly to the best of places,without being with swarms of other tourists. He is accommodating, he is a good listener, and he will work with all people in an unfaltering patient manner, with a good sense of humor. Having worked with him several times and gone to places less traveled as well as more popular locations, I recommend him highly for touring to a variety of places. He researches his choices and works to be sure he offers high quality experiences for reasonable prices.Written August 16, 2016
- We sat in the park after looking at the Merced church. There were lots of people in the park sitting and relaxing.Written January 16, 2020
- After visiting the National Museum, I sat down here and had my rest and snacks. Located across from the National Museum and General Assembly Building, this plaza can be easily found. There are some sculptures around here plus some benches to sit down. I enjoyed my short visit here!Written December 2, 2022
- A marked hike adjacent to a bicycle store. Some of the downhills were steep and for people in good shape, otherwise easy walking. But compared to other natural sights in CR this was distinctly mediocre.Written March 13, 2020
- Nice park in the city to unwind and relax. Close to shopping and restaurants and bus transportation.Written December 19, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about San Jose
- These experiences are best for nature & parks in San Jose:
- Coffee Experience, Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens
- San Jose Walking Nature Tour: Sloths, Birds and Trees
- Arenal Volcano Full-Day Combo Tour with Lunch and Dinner
- Day Tour to Poás Volcano, Café Doka and La Paz Waterfalls
- Arenal Volcano Experience Full-Day Tour from San Jose
- These are the best places for couples seeking nature & parks in San Jose:See more nature & parks for couples in San Jose on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking nature & parks in San Jose:See more nature & parks for groups in San Jose on Tripadvisor