- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- Went to the opera, Madam Butterfly, at the theater many years ago. The building is really nice, an historic landmark that is alive today.Written January 21, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautifully presented exhibit. Very informative, with creative layout. Exhibits are well spaced so you can see clearly without feeling crowded. Respectful of indigenous culture.Written January 25, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- There is a great selection of jade and other materials in this museum and the art of it is wonderful.Written January 25, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The museum is fantastically curated in the former home of the Costa Rican army prior to its abolition in the late 1940s. Bite sized information in English and Spanish throughout. Plan for 1.5-2 hours to do it justice. Don’t rush.Written January 25, 2023
- This is an authentic experience. Indoor bustling market in the center of downtown San Jose with vendors selling all sorts of items including fruits and vegetables, flowers, clothing and electronics. This place is filled with locals and tourists like me are few, but I felt comfortable here. There are several places with a counter and seats to grab some food so make sure you take advantage of trying some local fare while here.Written January 9, 2023
- Holy cow it’s a great place in the historic airport building. Art indoors, out and built into the amazing woodwork in the building itself. Great variety of mediums - art installations in fabric and video in addition to sculptures, drawings, paintings and photographs. Pleasantly surprised to see art from as recently as 2022 on display. Certainly a long way from an old, stuffy, stereotypical art museum. Plan for 1-1.5 hours & take a taxi or an Uber unless you are already near La Sabana park or the University of CR.Written January 25, 2023
- I've gone in a couple of times for a few minutes of contemplation and prayer, for those who want a respite from the busy streets of San Jose. It's not one of the grand cathedrals of the world but pleasant nonetheless. I found it a nice way to give thanks and centre yourself amidst all the hustle and bustle.Written May 5, 2022
- Trip Advisor doesn't seem to have a listing for the Museo Penitencerio that shares space with the Kids museum but it's ultimately separate.
A small but informative museum reckoning with the terrible history of this prison. The museum recreates the conditions using original cells. It includes actual graffiti from the prisoners as well as statues of inmates with authentic artifacts of the the period.
The museum does a good job at taking responsibility for the atrocious conditions they allowed at this site.Written October 18, 2019
- I stumbled upon this place while walking back to my hotel. There are lots of beautiful hand-made stuffs to buy here and take home.
I was surprised to see that prices of goods are in US $ and they are quite expensive and not within my travel budget for souvenirs. For example, small embroidered sling bags are $20! I just looked around here and did not buy a thing.
Come here for the experience but be prepared to pay high prices!Written November 30, 2022
- The beer and food were fantastic! They do not open until 2pm and luckily we arrived there at 1:50pm, so not a long wait. There is no tour of the facility, but I highly recommend going for lunch or dinner.Written January 15, 2022
- A cut above the usual tourist curios. Very helpful salesman (Irishman from Quebec living in San Jose) who went over the collection and took the time to explain the objects. Great range in prices from small gifts to major art work. Not far from all the museums in San Jose, worth the tripWritten November 20, 2021
- Amazing museum with a phenomenal collection of pre-Colombian jade artefacts. All clearly labelled in Spanish and English. Lots of context given, and interesting comparisons with contemporary jewellery and sculpture in Europe and Asia. The background music was also very atmospheric, and suited the displays well.Written December 1, 2021
- While staying in San Jose we visited this small but interesting museum. All of the descriptions are in Spanish with no English translations but well presented. Loved the sculptures in the rear courtyard. Also, dont forget to visit tge upstairs rooms with the wall plaques. It was free when we visited.Written April 18, 2020
- Our driver Robert from I Love Travel met us at the airport and drove us Arenal Springs Resort. He was very nice, and explained all the flowers and provided information about the towns we passed. Even though the roads are very windy we felt extremely safe with him driving. Definitely would recommend using them again. We have already booked them for our return trip.Written January 30, 2023
- I admire the wooden ceilings, stain windows and colorful walls of this church. On both sides of the Main Altar are two smaller ones with religious statues. The sidings, floorings, balusters , organ, etc remind me of some beautiful churches that I have visited in Europe.
Since no mass was going on during my visit, I was able to discreetly take some pictures. I said my prayers before leaving.
Note: There is a small park located in front of this beautiful churchWritten November 27, 2022