Historic Sites • Points of Interest & Landmarks
Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Santa Barbara
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Very historical building. Filled with interesting architecture and art. Docent was excellent. Well worthwhile investment of one hour of time. A top ten things to see in Santa Barbara.Written November 6, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great way to spend an afternoon. This little zoo has a great variety of animals and birds. The staff is very knowledgeable about each of their animals they care for. We did the giraffe experience and you could tell the team members really enjoyed themselves introducing the giraffes and talking about them....and the giraffe was very approachable and knew its "people" were there and were going to give them treats. Feeding the giraffes is definitely the highlight, but the entire zoo is beautiful to walk around.Written October 15, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a very cool place; the restaurant, the bar, and the band. Food is great, people are great and the band is fun.Written November 9, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We stopped by on our way into town for a weekend getaway. The mission and its grounds are beautiful and well kept. There's a gift shop that offers something for everyone. Due to time we were unable to take the tour, but would definitely come back to see the inside of the property.Written October 30, 2022
- The day was sunny, bright, just warm enough and it was a weekday, so traffic was light and we were able to drive leisurely and take in the views.Written November 10, 2022
- This was a lovely morning riding along the bike path between the sea and the palms. It is a bit tricky at the busy areas as people and children walk out not realising that bikes are coming. But the bikes all had bells which negated the need for any emergency stops.Written August 18, 2022
- One of my favourite beaches in California.. this place is not easy to get to and not a lot of parking so its not crazy busy but clean, beautiful and the cliffs just behind provide such a great atmosphere. I can spend days here.
Hendry's Beach just further up is a bit more clear as its further away from the leash free dog area... just amazing views, and because of the cliffs behind you, it seems like a bit of a private secluded area... it's absolutely beautiful.
Further south is the Dog free leach area and although there are some dogs running around having fun, its such a large area that it shouldnt bother anyone. I like dogs so I have no issues with dogs running up to say hello..
Regardless, its an amazing area to spend a day or two. Hang on in the parking lot to get a good spot or you can park further away and walk to the beachWritten November 2, 2022
- Just lovely! After a phenomenal lunch at Brophy Bros, we walked out along the breakwater and enjoyed the diving Cormorant birds, brown pelicans, boats/yachts and great views. At the end of the breakwater is a small, but touching memorial to the people who lost their lives on the Conception in 2019.Written November 16, 2022
- This is a wonderful, old time pier. It has some nice little shops and several restaurants. The view off the end is great!Written October 20, 2022
- It's small, but the interactive part of the museum is nice. The animal displays were nice but limited.Written October 16, 2022
- The drive was spectacular, we drove, stopped along the way. Got out and walked a bit. It was a lovely way to spend part of our day in Santa Barbara.Written November 10, 2022
- A good maritime museum with an excellent rooftop deck view. It depends on your interest how much time you wish to spend here, but still interesting to tour. Admission price is reasonable and has a nice gift shop!Written November 12, 2022
- Great bookstore. Not massive, but I was able to find topics that I haven’t seen in bookstores for ages. Our kids loved it too.Written October 21, 2022
- I visited a few days ago, and right now (late April) the poppies are blooming. It's a lovely place, but I think calling it an arboretum would be a little more accurate than calling it a garden. It's like a little nature preserve, capturing a small redwood forest and the stream bed deep in the arroyo. Fringing this are the visitor paths and the few more curated gardens. The canyon still contains the remains of the irrigation systems built in the early 1800s. Stone-lined aqueducts and decaying wooden troughs can still be seen there. The system used to carry water all the way down the mountain to the Mission. I really liked the Manzanita grove, something that's pure Santa Barbara, and smells great. Part of the garden grounds are across the street, and lead up a hill to the conservation center, which features an amazing view, all the way to the ocean, as well as some nice places to sit down and enjoy the scenery. I took the hard path, but I noticed too late that an access road will take a golf cart straight up from the parking lot to the conservation center. A good option for handicapped guests.
Speaking of handicapped, even though the paths are well-maintained, given that it's a canyon there are some dramatic changes in elevation that might make navigating difficult if you are in a wheelchair or on crutches. Also, if you're susceptible to heat stroke (like I am) please pace yourself and be prepared. I failed to do this adequately and had to cut my visit short, because the heat was getting to me.
What I mean to say is that this is still a lovely place to visit, but this isn't just a casual, flat rose garden. It's an active, semi-wild landscape, and I would prep for it as you would a hike, rather than a walk in a city park. I'm always happy to pay the admission that a garden or zoo asks, because I know the money is going into the maintenance of the place, and I think that has value. Crowds are thinner after 2pm, but come earlier in the day if you want to beat the heat.Written April 28, 2022
- Impressive! :D There's also more things to see around and well informed! It's a great area to go with kids if want to do family activities :)Written October 9, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Santa Barbara
- The best day trips from Santa Barbara according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Small-Group Santa Barbara Wine Tour to Private Locations - Max 7 Guests
- Santa Ynez Valley Wine Tour
- Santa Barbara Small-Group Wine Tour to ONLY Private Vineyard Estates & Wineries
- Santa Ynez Valley Biking and Wine Tasting Tour
- Private All-Inclusive Wine Tasting Tour from Santa Barbara
- The most popular things to do in Santa Barbara with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Santa Barbara Sportfishing Charter
- Santa Barbara Hot Rod Limo
- Condor Express Whale Watching
- Channel Islands Expeditions
- Land and Sea Tours/ Land Shark