Points of Interest & Landmarks • Religious Sites
Top Attractions in Mon State
What travellers are saying
- The site itself and history are worth the visit but crowds and other unexpected things are inevitable. If one expects luxury, rather disappoint. Think of it as a pilgrimage from the start.Written October 6, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Another site to show respect for the fallen. Many Australians and 3 New Zealanders remembered here. So many, so young fought for the freedoms.Written January 15, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The views within and from the pagoda are spectacular. Why would you not put a pagoda in this perfect location? A great place to see the evening in - particularly if the sunset is wonderful!!Written January 15, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Holy place and amazing intricate Buddhas and colourful stories of his life, Many intricate meaningful statues. Very interesting pagoda.Written January 15, 2020
- Two large boulders balance improbably on a third high in the mountains, reminiscent of the much better known Mt. Kyaiktiyo (Golden Rock). Go early or mid-morning to catch a truck that goes 6.8 kilometers up a steep mountain road from the highway turnoff, which is 20 kilometers north of the northern traffic circle in Mawlamyine. There's a sign on the highway with a little picture of the balanced boulders.
Another option is to hike up the mountain road. I bicycled up the mountain road, though very hard and only for very experienced cyclists.
Good views on the way! You can get cold drinks at top parking area, but not on way up.Written February 18, 2017
- Just really odd!
The Buddhas themselves are very impressive. Apparently the largest in the world. But the real fun in inside, it’s like walking around a building site barefoot. Many depictions of a Buddhist hell can be pretty terrifying!
You can get a local bus from town very cheep to the main road.Written March 10, 2020
- We arrived this place actually from the back side... where the monks are washing and living around. Nice glass windows, big Buddha but have seen a lot already... quite relaxing and peaceful.Written February 5, 2018
- Very popular spot to feed massive fish. Great pagoda with many features. This is a pagoda where some of the areas are able to be visited by men only. This pagoda is on the edge of the sea in a spectacular setting.Written January 15, 2020
- Loved this beach, and enjoyed the beers and food provided by one of the restaurants. Thoroughly enjoyed our day spent here and would go again. Only shared the beach with a few locals...Written October 6, 2019
- This museum is in Thanbyuzayat ,30 miles from Mawlamyaing. It's valued 4000kyats of admission fee, the staffs are very kindly and helpful.He begins to show us the first impression of 3D corner where we was photo ,look alike we were on track of the real railwals when reaching the brink of high cliff. There are exhibition about how POWs were living at those time of construction the dead railway line from here to merge with the line from thailand in the middle.vicinity is also interesting to explore, threre is real locomotives on the rail. The real track links between Thanbyuzayat and Mawlamyaing.Written February 12, 2020
- Impressive. A bit dilapidated, but much character. Doors were locked but for churches like this there is usually someone around who has a key and will let you in. So, even though old and not in great condition, it is used every Sunday. Worth a 20 minute visit.Written December 30, 2019
- Got a bus from town for not much money at all. They me me off on main road a couple of minutes from the base. Have to take off shoes at the bottom and can be a bit hash on the feet of your not yet used to barefoot. Didn’t see any other tourists there so just us, great views. Just a few locals we met who were very happy to see us and very friendly as always. Not far from recycling Buddha so worth going there after.Written March 10, 2020
- I went there in the early morning; I was the only tourist, saw just a few monks, nuns and gardeners around, doing their work. a nice, shady and quiet place, good to relax. A smal island, covered with trees and lots of stupas and Buddha statues. You have to walk around the whole island barfooted. The only annoying thing were the hostile dogs at some places. The crossing by boat is already a lovely experience, with the best view to the bridge I have seen.Written July 14, 2017
- ocean Supercenter is biggest mall in Mawlamyine township. And
You can get all things in this place like a another Supercenter.Written September 1, 2019
- Monkeys, Buddhas, Buddhas. Here, there, everywhere. An amazing Buddha-filled cave. It is hard to believe the numbers of Buddhas in one small area.Written January 15, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Mon State
- The best outdoor activities in Mon State according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Mon State on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Mon State according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Myanmar's Sacred Sites: Excursion to Golden Rock from Yangon
- Golden Rock Day Return Trip
- Golden Rock day trip from Yangon
- Private Day Adventure Trip to the Golden Rock
- Kyaikhtiyo Day return Trip