- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
21 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- I'd probably like it better in the off-season. When I went on an August weekday, it was crammed with visitors and vehicles -- and I mean that literally. The main street is narrow, with parking on the side of it, and there was lots of traffic including local delivery trucks. Otherwise, it's a nice town -- lots of galleries and gift shops, a few restaurants and cafes, historic architecture, great water views, etc.Written August 28, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- One of the nicest shoreline walks I've ever done. A great way to experience the Maine coast. Kids even found a small beach for a quick (and cold!) swim and whilst doing so explored a small sea caveWritten July 12, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We stumbled upon this little delightful center while looking around Stonington harbor. Not knowing what to expect we walked in to inquire, and Chelsea was very welcoming and enthusiastic to tell us what they offer. Unfortunately their afternoon slots were already booked.
Then Leroy walked out of a door and said "I just finished having coffee. I can take 'em right now." and off we went.
Leroy was the best! He made my grumpy teen's day. He showed us clams, crabs, different fish and one male and one female lobster. He taught our daughter how to hold a lobster too. He showed us how a lobster trap works, and shared a lot of information about lobstering including what is being done to ensure to keep lobsters around for future generations.
This great experience is free, but if you decide to go, I suggest that you to make a donation to this wonderful non-profit. Also, during busier summer months it's best to make a reservation ahead of time.Written June 26, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What an unexpected and wonderful experience. An Opera House in little Stonington, Maine? Had to check it out! We were lucky enough to be there for a performance of Broadway music featuring a performer with the Metropolitan Opera and many others, two members of the cast of Phantom of the Opera (one of which played the lead for many years!) and two other cast members with many years of Broadway and musical theater experience. In Stonington! What an evening we enjoyed. Our first live music event since COVID. The Opera House employed mask protocols for all which was much appreciated. An outstanding performance. I wish we were staying longer to see other offerings. Absolutely check out their schedule if you plan a visit. Not to be missed. Highly, highly recommend.Written August 5, 2021
- I was a little nervous setting out after seeing all the warning signs about cliffs and steep drops, but I felt very safe here. We took the erratic glacial trail to the top then the quarry road down. The views were amazing and seeing the remnants of the quarry was fascinating.Written May 2, 2022
- I stopped in Shari's studio and was stricken by the beauty of the colors in her art work. My favorite painting is one that shows the Opera House in the village of Stonington. She also has her art on mugs, clocks, and pillows.Written October 13, 2015
- I had asked a question or 2 about the computer screen I was seeing. The crew was very knowledgeable, helpful and pleasant to speak with. The boat was very well kept & clean.Written October 17, 2022
- Great way to see how lobsters are brought in from the sea. The guys on the dock were nice and explained a lot.and showed us the live lobsters.Written August 28, 2019
- Great local atmosphere. Great food. I'll go back for sure.
Other five star reviews accurately describe my experience, too.Written January 26, 2017
- New one on me. Begs the question, what's a Chandler? chandler | ˈCHan(d)lər |
1 (also ship chandler) a dealer in supplies and equipment for ships and boats.
2 historical a dealer in household items such as oil, soap, paint, and groceries.
• a person who makes and sells candles.
Middle English (denoting a candle maker or candle seller): from Old French chandelier, from chandelle ‘candle’ (see chandelier).
Such an important shop to have and preserve! Too often history gets lost when towns cater to tourists; and it becomes more about shopping the stores one already knows, than learning about the town, its people, and its history.
You could probably get lost for hours here - so many neat artifacts that surely would tell many a tale! The owner presides over the shop as if it were a museum - leaving us alone as we marveled at it's holdings. He, himself, a master "jeweler" of sorts, using stones found on the coast. We ended up leaving with one of those lovely "knotical" mats woven from coconut fiber to stand the test of time.Written October 6, 2018
- So incredibly glad to have found this spot! Enjoyed while there and got some delectables for our freezer.Written September 23, 2018
- Will and Mike are awesome hosts. Accommodating our schedule and the October weather made for a great early 1/2 day of kayaking with a seal pup and several very active bald eagles. We had a cool, breezy morning but Osprey's Echo had all the right gear for the conditions and there was essentially no other boat traffic to contend with. Great time on the water!Written October 10, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Stonington
- The best outdoor activities in Stonington according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Edgar M. Tennis Preserve
- Discovery Wharf at Maine Center for Coastal Fisheries
- Settlement Quarry Preserve