11 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- Disappointing. It's no longer a outlet where you can get deals. After factoring the exchange rate, gas and meals it's cheaper to stay in CanadaWritten November 22, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Polly King and I had a connection though I never knew it until my aunt (my family is originally from Niagara Falls) died in 2006. It was while attempting to make order of my aunt's estate that I realized that some of her belongings were missing: primarily art. You see, my aunt was a promising (and quite prolific) artist until mental illness stole that talent from her so when we were sorting things out in her 2 bedroom condominium that I realized that a lot of art was missing. Many phone calls later, and thanks to a wonderful locally run storage company, the next day, 8 or 10 boxes arrived, full of some old and beautiful china but mostly art. Lots and lots of art. Most of it my aunt's, but also art by others including a portrait of my aunt, a gorgeous portrait full of color and beauty and life and more color and, yes, Polly King finally enters the story, it turns out that it was a portrait done by Niagara Falls artist Polly King, who was a friend, teacher, and mentor of my aunt's.
Eventually I met Polly's son and had saw the museum which is Polly's home. One might think that having a museum in a home is odd or not quite right according to de rigeur art protocol and one might be correct if one thinks in that kind of way. But, it turns out that this isin fact, the perfect way to show Polly King's work.
As soon as you walk in the door of this beauiful old house, you capture the essence of Polly. The home teems with her spirit, essence, joie de vie, art. Art is everywhere! Not just pieces of art, although they abound. Paintings are in nooks and crannies and underfoot and overhead. But way before we all became enchanted with DIY and creative little whimsical touches like painting borders of vines around our bathroom ceilings, Polly apparently would have an urge to paint a path of flowers down a hall or up a wall, wherever the spirit mover her. And would do so. It would be such a wonderful place to show young people with an interest in art as the museum lets you see how it is to be able to literally live, breathe, and eat art.Polly's work is almost universally cheering. It's colorful, reflective of her many travels and love of flowers and all things of beauty.
I wished I could spend days in her home and though when my aunt died so went the last of my family connections to Niagara Falls I made some new friends and will be back at the museum. I am fortunate enough to have the portrait of my aunt as well as a smaller piece of Polly's that my aunt owned. The beginnings of a collection I hope.
Being from Niagara Falls originally, I know how much there is to do when one visits, but this is a trip that is more than worth making. You will see another side of the city, the home is in one of the old neighborhoods, the house by itself is a wonder, and
it provides an hour or two of quiet enjoyment away from the more typical activities. Enjoy!Written December 21, 2008This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Nice that this building was saved from the wrecking ball. As the former Niagara Falls High School, it is now a center for artists, musicians, and local theatre. Several 'festivals' during the year add to its local interest and enjoyment.Written August 7, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Friendly, funky, fantastic and fun. Lots to explore - new and used books in every subject: kids books, literature, mysteries, local subjects, poetry, philosophy, cook books, and audio books and old vinyl. If he doesn’t have it, Jeff will try to find it for you. He has never failed me!Written June 28, 2023
- I’ve been going to Smokin Joes for years for cigars mostly. It has certainly changed in the past few years, however the selection of cigars is still very good, the prices are very reasonable. They also have a very comfortable smoking room if interested. Their retail area is very well kept but I found the prices a bit high especially for clothing.Written August 24, 2019
- Just your average run of the mill candies. It would be much cheaper to bring your own bag of chocolate from Walmart. Seriously! Those were the candies on the center display. (Twix, Milky Way, etc.) They did offer ice cream but with a cold stone across the street and La Patisserie less than a block away offering gelato, their game needs to be upped.Written June 25, 2018
- We enjoyed our visit here very much. The Canadians were so gracious to us! We enjoyed our lunch as well. This was a first time visit to Niagara Fall. We were thrilled about our vacation. Definitely a return trip someday! Much love to Niagara 🇨🇦☕️Falls!Written October 18, 2019
- This is a gift shop and further back inside is the thunder theater.The gift shop is pretty expensive on most items.Some items aren't so bad.This store does have a lot of different items though.Written August 25, 2015