Science Museums • Educational sites
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- We loved visiting the Hatfield Visitor Center! They have so many wonderful exhibits, for both adults and children. They have great touch pools. Octopus feedings, many hands on exhibits, again for for children and adults. We all (two adults and a 9 & 10 year old) enjoyed it a lot.Written September 9, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It's older and a bit dated now. Expensive to see all that is offered and doesn't take long to go through. Reading is a huge deal here and some displays cheesy. Kids might find it fun but the older adult may think it's a waste of money.Written June 15, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I’ve done a few glass blowing sessions before at other places but this was definitely the most hands on and fun session I have done. Jeff was an excellent and patient teacher, it was easy to follow his instruction and he let me do most of the work and only jumped in for the more advanced steps in the process. My husband and I had a wonderful time. Picked up our pieces the next day and my finished piece came out beautiful! I highly recommend doing a glass blowing session with Jeff at the Hot Shop when in Newport. You can reserve a session on his website..Written September 19, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My husband, some friends and I signed up to make a project here. Amelia was a great instructor and pretty funny too. She gave us very clear instructions and helped us every step of the way. Additionally, she was very careful to keep us safe from all of the VERY hot tools and implements. We made paperweights, a bowl and a Christmas ornament. Overall a really fun and unique experience.Written July 31, 2023
- Wax Works is exactly the type of wax museum I enjoy. It is not the polished and boring Madame Tussaud variety that you find in big cities. Instead it is a quirky, uneven, and sometimes inaccurate curiosity that you see in smaller tourist meccas. While they do have a number of newer exhibits, they also have plenty of quirky classics like a chamber of horrors, bigfoot, DB Cooper, and Star Wars. Combined with Ripley's this is a no brainer must visit for all roadside attraction lovers. My only wish is that it was a little longer. Check it out and enjoy the funky atmosphere.Written May 13, 2023
- It was worth the $5 to see the exhibits, but the highlight is their theater and learning about the early history of highway 101, the resorts and how folks vacationed in those days. We didn't have an hour to watch all the individual films, so I will definitely be going back!Written November 13, 2019
- Nice looking home. It is a museum now. They cover about their family. The house is huge!
Thomas, the father started to take pictures in 1900, especially of the new cars.
The Indians used to live in this town.
Lots of pictures and events that happened the last century.
We saw some baskets, school desks and some information about the Yaquina Bay Bridge.
They covered how people lived here.
It was quite interesting to learn from the past.
Worthwhile to see!Written February 26, 2019
- We spent about an hour here and enjoyed looking at the paintings. We came away with two paintings we really like. The staff were very friendly and helpful.Written August 29, 2022
- This is a new gallery on the west end of the bayfront in Newport, near the Coast Guard station. They own a gallery in Salem as well.
I admit I'm not really into art. Whilst I enjoy looking at nice paintings and appreciate the talent it takes, I seem to always get "sticker shock" in an art gallery ;-)
This one has a good selection of different styles and subjects. Some paintings were whimsical; others serious. There is an upstairs gallery (no elevator) that has a collection of Disney artwork. The gallery also has a variety of sculptures and glass works. Everything was very nice.
The gallery has big windows and was filled with light on the sunny day I was there.
The clerk was friendly and personable, even though she realized I was just a "lookie loo"!Written April 2, 2016
- We were staying in Yachats and had booked in advance since there were 6 of us! It was really helpful that you had samples of all the different objects we could make. Once we got going it was amazing! I was scared that the glass would just fall off, but you reassured me that you wouldn't let me fail and I came away with a beautiful bowl. The rest of my family had fun, too and we've placed our glass pieces in our home. Thanks for such a great memory!Written May 13, 2023
- Amazing photography of Newport, Oregon and the surrounding area. Captures exciting Coast Guard and Fishing Vessels scenes. Very artistic and professionally done. Puzzles and calendars of local area also available. Very attractive gallery space.Written July 11, 2023
- So as you walk the short section of Newport's beach walk area of shops and restaurants you may stumble upon this sweet little gem of an art gallery. It is a collective of local artist which shows real class. All the art is worthy of shows in much larger cities across the counrty. I am amazed! The very friendly and helpful folks who run the gallery are actually the artist themselves, what better way to get to know more about their masterpieces than to chat with them right there and not wait to some distant openning night of their featured work. The prices are quite well set. Go Enjoy!Written August 30, 2019
- Chuck Forinash is an amazing local coastal photographer and his gallery is filled with many of his works, from simple prints to elegant framings! We just got one of his latest, the Yaquina Bay Bridge with snow in the foreground, a rare sight indeed!Written January 7, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Newport
- These are the best places for kid-friendly museums in Newport:See more museums for children in Newport on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking museums in Newport:See more museums for couples in Newport on Tripadvisor