Nature & Wildlife Areas
19 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- We have a parks permit and it was good to see an old lighthouse still working. We wanted to go inside, but the top is 105 steps up and at 75, out of my range. We talked with the Park Ranger about this and the closed lighthouse on the south side of Newport. This is worth the time.Written November 13, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We liked that the weather allowed us to go to the various outdoor exhibits at the aquarium without getting rained on! We especially enjoyed watching the little cute sea otters (AKA "sea pigs"!!) get fed at 3 PM as the cute little one closest to us had the crab leg shells tossed to it cracked open and had gobbled the meat of the crab leg down within about 5 total seconds while the fish pieces that were tossed to it were gone in about ONE second!! I told the little girl in her dad's arms next to us watching that they were "little pigs" and her dad had to explain the joke in that! At least two exhibit buildings were closed due to having fairly loud work going on in them, so as much as they could, the staff had moved marine life from those areas to other spots on the grounds and in the buildings. Because it was my birthday on the day we went, I was given a VERY nice discount for the entrance! Thank you to the staff!!Written December 6, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- One of my many stops on oregon coast drive. The formation is alot bigger than the photos displayed. Its about 40 ft across and you cannot keep looking down at the hole...mesmerizingWritten September 30, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Nye Beach is a small neighborhood of Newport and the most charming part of town. By itself - it almost feels like it’s own small beach town. The beach is awesome for walking and the area has lots of great eats. Highly recommend Stefanies Cafe for breakfast and Nanas or Sorrellas for dinner.Written November 12, 2023
- We took Otter Crest Loop which is a smaller ocean side road off 101 which in itself is an adventure with some pretty great views, and stopped off at Cape Foulweather and found the little building that is a lookout which we'd never been to before. The National Park woman who works there did a great job telling us about the whales that come by this area from the cold waters of Alaska to have their babies down south in warmer waters before swimming back again. It was rather amazing, she said, that on both the these journeys both down and back, the whales have eaten enough that they don't eat at all on the trips! She also told us about some younger whales who stay in the area around the Lookout until they are large enough to make those trips, and they are often spotted eating small sea life from the kelp that floats around in the water right there. We would have loved to see some whales, but it's a little past the time. She told us that April/May will be a good time to return.Written December 6, 2023
- Chose this place for our first yurt experience. It did not disappoint! It is the way to go when you have young kids. The yurt was exactly like the pictures I saw online. It even had electricity which was great because I could charge my phone.
The location is perfect. Not too far from Portland, and a short walk to the beach. We did bring our stroller on the walk and while it was good for a while, it got too sandy and we had to ditch the stroller.
The beach was quiet. We had it pretty much to ourselves! Our dog loved it too!
We were able to buy a lighter and firewood when we got there.Written August 24, 2023
- One of my favorite areas for beachcombing for agates, fishing, clamming and watching a beautiful sunset. If you go to the Wayside, you can park a RV and walk under the tunnel to the beach. Some of the other areas are not easy to get your rigs in and out. The one off Ocean View is smaller and I don't recommend trying. If you can drive down, it's worth it to watch the most beautiful sunset on a cloudyless or semi cloudy day.Written June 15, 2023
- This is a great spot to visit if you want to see tide pools and creatures on the beach such as seals. The only thing I did not like about it is there’s a lot of government control in what you can and cannot do and I wish the government would go away.Written May 30, 2023
- We thought we would come down to the park again, paid an entrance fee and began down the road. So peaceful, took tons of pictures and this day was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!Written August 6, 2023
- It was super windy on a late August Monday evening, but not the least bit crowded. We were staying in an RV park across the street and found this gem. My daughter had a wonderful time playing in the sand and surf.Written August 30, 2020
- Cliff side. Access to beach. Lots of parking. Restroom.
Bonus is Pacific Kitchen of Nye Beach right next door! Excellent food & service.Written July 24, 2022
- Hadn't thought to write on Coast Park before this must be our tenth visit minimum. Clean, with options for multiple age levels. Biggest issue is equipment in battle with the sea air to retain function. A great community asset.Written July 24, 2022
- Nice area. Smaller beach, but this allows for a cozy romantic stop or picnic. Great for friends and family.Written August 30, 2023
- We went early to the path named Ocean to Bay Trail. It wasn't that hard. At some places we had to walk up.
We were amidst the trees. Some of these trees were huge.
We were enjoying listening the birds,
Then we went back to our car. What a nice walk
Worthwhile to enjoy!Written March 10, 2019
- This is the best beach to take the dog. Our little terrier loves the beach and we found this one to be easy access and her favorite one to run.Written November 24, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Newport
- These are the most romantic places for nature & parks in Newport:See more romantic nature & parks in Newport on Tripadvisor