Public Transportation Systems
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Showing results 1-30 of 124
What travellers are saying
- I was pleasantly surprised that the subway system appeared safe and fairly clean with no homeless sleeping in the area. We rode it during the day and night after catching a Red Sox game. There are very helpful employees at the stations to direct or guide you.Written May 21, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The staff of Bay State Cruise Company could not have been more accommodating! I arrived early for my 1 pm Fast Ferry cruise to Cape Cod from Boston and they permitted me to take the earlier ferry! Accommodations were clean and the staff very friendly and helpful! I highly recommend this ferry service!Written June 22, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Thank you so much!! Always so reliable, kind, and efficient. My grandma has been using for years now, and we never use any other way to get in or out of Logan! Definitely recommend.Written January 29, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I recently had to fly up to Boston solo with my 3 small children, so my usual go-to of bussing it on Logan Express was not going to be feasible, nor could my parents even legally fit all of us plus our bags in their car anyway. I didn't want to spend $1000 to rent a car that would just sit for the week we were there, and another old go-to, Boston Coach, is not well-suited for travelers with young children; they quoted me $450 each way!
I am so thankful I found Boston Airport Shuttle! Though still a sticker shock (having not traveled for several years at this point, everything was), they were only $260 each way door to door, which included all my bags, carseats for my kiddos already installed, and they were soooooo patient with me. Due to rush hour, my ride from the airport was about an hour and 15 min, and the ride back was only about 45min. My driver was early each time and a huge help with the bags. The minivan is such a blessing for traveling with so many young kids and bags, and not having to mess with carseats was a treat!
I'm not sure at what point I'll be back in Boston, but I'll definitely use them again when the time comes!Written October 17, 2022
- Our driver Hasan was the best. Very professional and a pleasure. We will use Boston Airport Cab again.Written January 26, 2023
- I could not have asked for a better service or a better driver than Eddie! After crazy streasful flight issues, Eddie and this service came in clutch by helping make a calming force to get me to my destination safely. I cannot recommend them highly enoughWritten January 22, 2023
- Was fine at first until my husband and I needed to get to North Station from Salem. Trains were delayed for "police activity" so we were shoved onto a bus that brought us to Swampscott station where we were told a train to North Station would be "arriving shortly". There are no enclosed places to sit at this station and it was 40 degrees with freezing rain and 50mph winds. We sat at Swampscott for TWO HOURS before a train finally came. 4 trains had went by and we asked each of them if they were going to Boston to which most of the time we were treated like we were stupid. My husband and I are not locals and during this time of year they shouldn't expect mostly locals on their trains. We were supposed to get on our train at 6:30 in Salem but didn't get one until 8:30.Written October 27, 2021
- Great little water taxi service from Boston Logan Airport/ Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor. 5-10 mins into downtown ( Long Wharf). Highly recommend.Written September 1, 2022
- Boston South Station is the end of the line for the northeast corridor route on Amtrak. It’s a historic building that is under renovation. It’s enclosed, but quite airy. There is a good police presence.
There are some curious factors: it might be the only major train station without a news stand. Hopefully they will get one in the future once renovation is completed.
There is a cab stand, but cabs are hard to find. Apparently Uber and Lyft are how people get around.Written July 12, 2022
- From the ease of making a reservation to the professionalism and timely and polite service would highly recommend using this service. David the driver arrive a few minutes early for a very early flight which provided security for my significant other who was ravelingWritten February 26, 2021
- Take the Ferry from Hingham Shipyard to Boston. It's a great way to see the harbor and the city from the water. It beats crowded trains and buses. You can even have a drink on board.Written March 28, 2012
- This is a cheap, fast, and practical way to get around town and around the region. I got to know the subway/trolley car system fairly well and it worked for my visit.Written June 19, 2020
- I took the Lake Shore Limited from Boston to Pittsfield, a relaxing and comfortable four-hour journey. What I noticed immediately is the abundance of space and roominess, expensive luxuries on a plane, non-existent on a bus. I had two seats to myself and so much room in front and beside me. My feet couldn't even reach the footrest it was so far in front of me. My stromboli from the cafe car was good and reasonably priced. The menu offers a good choice. Alcoholic beverages are also available for purchase. The fare was very reasonable and if I had booked a few days further in advance the price would have been $9.00 to travel the entire width of the Commonwealth. The seats are very comfortable and I had the feeling I was sitting in it, not on it. It is very easy to recline the seat VERY FAR BACK; something unheard of in commercial aviation economy. I also realized that for an overnight trip it would be very simple to ride in a regular seat. Seat way back, leg rest up, maybe some Sominex and with a jacket spread of your upper body and you can enjoy a fairly comfortable, uninterrupted snooze for the night. The journey was largely through forest and something I soon realized around Worcester was that during foliage season the trip would be a scenic, mobile splash of reds, yellows and oranges for $9.00 each way. I will most definitely add it to my New England Bucket List. Lastly, the train was very punctual in both directions; on time arriving in Pittsfield and a few minutes late on the trip back to Boston. How many airlines can claim on time arrivals these days? All in all, Amtrak is not fast and it does not claim to be. However, in punctuality, spaciousness, comfort, scenery and maybe even food and drink for a reasonable price, it is well worth at least exploring.Written November 10, 2022
- Fantastic and smooth experience. Abdul was very communicative about the day of pickup. (He encountered road work/traffic along the way and let me know in advance that he would be 5 minutes late.) It was a very relaxing ride, exactly what you’d hope for in a car service experience from door to door. Abdul was also very helpful and flexible as I had to run an errand on the way to the airport. I would definitely use their service again and highly recommend to my friends and family!Written October 2, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Boston
- These experiences are best for transportation in Boston:
- Salem High Speed Ferry to/from Boston
- Provincetown & Cape Cod High Speed Ferry to/from Boston
- Private Arrival Transfer from Boston Airport BOS
- Affordable COVID-Safe, Door-To-Door Transport (Boston To NYC)
- Private Departure Transfer to Boston Airport BOS
- These are the best places for budget-friendly transportation in Boston:See more budget-friendly transportation in Boston on Tripadvisor