What travellers are saying
- What an enjoyable and entertaining time we had as we rode on the steam-powered train! We chose the Winslow, an open-air car, and the beautiful autumn weather was a bonus as we travelled down the track to the trestle bridge and back. We were so pleased to have plenty of photo & video opportunities throughout the duration of our trip. Once on board, we were regaled with historical facts about the railway, and serenaded by a guitar playing Cowboy, who encouraged us to sing along with him. And of course, everyone was excited when we were “robbed” by the Garnet Valley Gang, who rode in with their horses and realistic sound effects! At the end of our journey, we were treated to a delicious meal under the pavilion, with music provided, once again by “The Cowboy”. We will definitely be back, next time with family and friends!Written September 20, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- John C was an amazing host during our recent visit to Sumac Ridge. Would definitely recommend him to anyone wanting an interesting visit and tasting.Written September 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Loved the oven baked pizza. The wine tasting is a good price..it did seem to be a little rushed but it has a fun atmosphere. Great outdoor patio to sit sip and eat.Written October 3, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We loved our visit to the gardens! The trails were fun to explore as a beautiful morning walk. Turning each corner, it was so neat to see different trees, flowers, and vegetation. Such a lovely spot!Written August 13, 2023
- We stopped in during the middle of August and yes, it was a little smoky outside. Although this winery has really beautiful outdoor seating, amongst the trees and shade, we chose to taste wine inside today.
It was a very good tasting. Some very fresh tasting, crisp, and refreshing white wines were sampled first.
This family’s story is really quite something. Literally generation upon generation involved in winemaking or the viticulture industry. These people really know their stuff when it comes to producing good wine.
It’s right along the highway, so if you’re driving through Summerland, I’d recommend stopping in.Written August 17, 2023
- Heavens Gate Estate Winery is exactly as described on its website. We had the pleasure of meeting Tyson Felt, owner and winemaker on our 1st visit. We really enjoyed our wine tasting with Tyson and were pleased to see that our tasting fee was waived when we bought a couple bottles of wine. The wine is excellent and good value for the price. We went back this afternoon to purchase another bottle of wine to enjoy on the patio while listening to live music. The view from the patio is beautiful. We’ll be back again. I highly recommend this winery.Written September 10, 2023
- A friend introduced us to Thornhaven Estates. We were delighted.
We enjoyed a wine tasting hosted by a very knowledgeable and hospitable lady. Price $5/person.
We purchased a white named Tortured Grape and enjoyed the picnic our friend provided on the beautiful terrace overlooking the vinyard. We will be back soon for sure.Written October 8, 2023
- Went with friends to visit this park. We drove up most of the way, the road is narrow with lots of switchbacks, but the view is awesome! From the parking lot it's about another 10min on a moderately-steep, well-maintained trail to the top. Beautiful views of the valley all around.Written June 12, 2023
- Great late afternoon lunch at Back Door Winery & Bootlegger Bistro today! Gewurztraminer, charcuterie, pizza and wonderful people working in the winery and bistro! 5 stars ❤️Written July 28, 2023
- So helpful! Great clean bathrooms and endless pamphlets! Made summerland feel very welcoming, with lots of local tips and tricks!Written July 28, 2023
- Simon is an amazing host ( owner) and has created some amazing spirits. If you are traveling through Summerland and are looking for some Gin or other spirits. I highly recommend stopping in and grabbing a bottle or two.Written August 3, 2023
- What a wonderful beach and park! The lot had lots of room for parking, and was shaded with beautiful large trees. The changeroom building was clean and conveniently located. There is a playground and concession but we didn't end up using either. There are a few trees to set up under at the beach, but just watch for pine needles. Loved it here so much we visited a few times.Written August 13, 2023
- Sage Hills was our favourite stop on a wine tour of Summerland. From the minute we stepped out of the vehicle we knew it was someplace special. Tasting took place on the patio, which had some of the most beautiful views we’d seen. Our hostess was gracious and friendly, and we loved hearing about the organic and low intervention winemaking process. Left with several bottles and some gorgeous photos.Written October 7, 2021
- Summergate winery
Smoke hung in the air the day we decided to visit SummerGate Winery. They definitely have a lot of seating outside, with many picnic tables, spaced evenly across the fresh cut green grass.
Laura poured our wine. I’ll note that this is a certified organic winery.
This is a pleasant experience where you can sit outside at a picnic table, utilize the sun umbrella for some shade, and await your flight of six tasty wines to arrive.
When they get here, you enjoy a brief description of each wine, some detail about the organic certification, and then you are left to take in the views of the valley, orchards, and in our case, a little bit of wildfire smoke hanging in the air.
It’s a good winetasting experience. If you prefer being served your flight, then left alone to enjoy yourself, and the wine
Personally, I prefer the banter from time to time with the person pouring wine as questions arise about the winery, history, family history, trials and tribulations of viticulture or wine making. But the absence of staff during the tasting did not take away from the experience. It was worth the trip.
The 2022 Muscat Ottonel was a highlight of the tasting experience for me. If you enjoy good ‘old grape juice’, visit this winery.Written August 17, 2023
- At this winery, you choose five wines for your tasting. I chose the following:
I miss day, I was definitely more a fan of the red wines, with the Cabernet franc coming in a close second to their Merlot.
I got a taste of my partners 2022 rosé and frankly, it’s one of the better tasting roses I’ve tried in the area. Taste fresh and crisp, lively with flavor. A very good rosé.
Consider adding this winery to the list if you’re wine tasting in the Summerland area.Written August 17, 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Summerland
- The best day trips from Summerland according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Summerland Bottle Neck Drive Holy Sip Full Day Shared Tour with Lunch stop
- Summerland Wine Tour Full Day Guided With 5 Wineries
- Summerland Private Wine Tour - Full Day
Summerland Attractions Information
|Monday 1:46 a.m.|