What travellers are saying
- Visited on a Sunday and it was quite busy when we arrived early afternoon. It took around an hour from Heraklion and our hire car was very underpowered for the hilly drive! We managed to park on the approach road which was just as well as the beach parking lot looked full. The village has plenty of cafes and stalls selling mainly tourist stuff but the area has a nice ambience and is worth visiting.Written October 22, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The road to the Gorge parking area and trail head is not that bad, but if not used to driving on bumpy-rocky narrow steep dirt roads this may not be for you. Also not recommended driving this road after heavy rain, as there are a few sections where clearly a river crosses the road with no alternate way around.
There was plenty of parking at the trail head and an opportunity to buy snacks and drinks at the food truck. We packed in waters, lunch, snacks, beach wear, etc.
The hike through the gorge to the beach is not difficult, no major elevation inclines/declines. It is a very hot hike but not super long.
There is no shade at the beach, so pack in an umbrella or find a spot along the cliff walls which provide a few hours out of the sun. The water is crystal clear and very calm the day we went. The small beach sits between two dramatic cliffs and is lagoon-like. There were maybe 25-30 people total on the beach that day. Basically you have the place to yourself to just sit and/or soak and savor the beautiful views.Written October 8, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The pittoresque beach with red sand and a small bar. When we were on the beach there was not sunbeds. Sometimes local goats visit rocks around the beach and watch visitors. A path to the beach leads from Matala village, 30 minutes about.Written July 10, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- it's an exceptional place with a very interesting history
bare in mind if you want the full experience of the caves make sure proper shoes and no fear if hightsWritten June 23, 2023
- Interesting church partly set in a cave. Worth a visit if you are around, Much more to see than in the other caves.Written February 27, 2021
- Like everything in Matala, also this workshop is more than hip. Hippie time is always there and in the vanes of a big part of the population thereWritten April 21, 2019
- This small beach is a bit hard to get to (by car on dusty road). But it offers privacy and less wind + smaller waves. There are mostly stones but parts with sand can be found.Written September 11, 2020
- Wednesday 26th August and we visited this small Church while exploring in Matala.
The Church, with its plain stone walls and red tiled arched roof, is located on the roadside by Matala Beach.
In front of the small altar was a wooden reredos (screen) which was adorned with numerous religious images.
A very ornate chandelier was a major feature in the Church.
More religious images and icons were to be seen on the walls and around the Church.Written August 30, 2020
- Emmanouil is the best bartender ever!!!
We had a great time and the guys here toom care of us!!! Will be back soon!!Written June 23, 2023
- My name is sinclare and my partner called erna
As we were walking round a small street in matala
We found a small shop selling oil raki and honey
and other products of Crete.we taisted the raki honey and the olive oil and found it of exelent quality. So we have taken some with us back to belgium . I asked the lady and the man in the shop
To weigh the products so that we were not overweight for the flight home. If you come to matala
I would advise to check this shop out . Very frendley
And helpfull couple who explane about there products and you can taste them also. Very very
Nice shop called Goods of GroundWritten May 21, 2018
- It was a very very good experience!! Especially for the children we laughed a lot and sure we will go again!!Written August 21, 2019
- best clothes and sandals in the entire Matala place!!!
Friendly staff and always welcome to help you with smileWritten August 15, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Matala
- The best day trips from Matala according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- South Crete: Matala Hippies Beach & Gortys Archaeological Site
- Agiofarago Matala Safari South Crete
- Ancient Palaces with Minoan Wine Routes & Iconic Matala Beach from Heraklion
- South Crete - Matala + Hippie caves direct
- Ancient Palaces with Minoan Wine Routes & Iconic Matala Beach from Chania
- The most popular things to do in Matala with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Matala on Tripadvisor