It's a shame we only spent 2 days in this hotel because we absolutely loved the spacious, modern room. Owner offered us a free ride on his scooter, offered us free whisky and beer from his own fridge and to top it all up he even went to the train station with us to show us where we could buy tickets for the bus to Taroko Gorge. They have a map with highlights in the neighbourhood and nice places to eat breakfast.
The Fantasy Apartment is well located, close to the train station. The room is clean and nicely decorated (boutique style), with a spacious bathroom and a very good shower. Staff is very friendly and helpful. And finally, it is certainly good value for money (TWD 1600 per night). Most hotels/B&Bs we have stayed in in Taiwan charge much more for less.
We stayed 2 nights in room 205 in January 2017. The room has no window but the room is large and with white lights and curtains, you won't notice the difference. Bathroom is big and with an equally big shower stall. In room safe, hair dryer, fridge, kettle/warmer, electrical sockets, USB ports for charging phones, tablets etc, big flat screen TV which we didn't use, disposable slipers for the floor is tiled and cold in the morning, queen sized bed with 4 comfortable pillows.
The pantry next to the reception has coffee and tea making facility, bottles of water and also a fridge and there were fruits the time we were there, and we were welcome to make full use of it.
The location is excellent as it is less than 5 minutes walk away from the train station and food is plentiful all over.
Molly, the day time 'attendant/care taker/boss', pointed out more food outlets on a map than we can ever sampled for the duration of our stay. She also helped us to secure a taxi for our tour of Taroko Gorge for the next day and answered the many questions we had. The owner and wife took over from Molly at night and they are just as warm and helpful. Great place to stay.
This hotel is located about a five minute walk to the train station. They don't serve breakfast, but you can buy hearty breakfast food at restaurant just outside the hotel any time after 5:30 in the morning. They also provide free bottled water, and instant coffee and tea. The room has a mini fridge and is clean and comfortable with a amazing, extra large shower and plenty of hot water.
Service at the hotel is excellent: Molly, who works during the day, was quite helpful in providing us with information and directions, including a food map of yummy street foods around town. At night, another really nice couple is working and they call Molly if you have a question in English.
Two small complaints: the bathroom door doesn't go all the way to the floor so there's not a lot of privacy. Probably due to the language barrier, I couldn't understand how to operate the central air and it was blowing on me while I was in bed and I was too cold.
Great value at 1584 TWD a night for a double - highly recommended!
- 5 min walking distance to train station.
- modern apartment (min-shu) in a white renovated building. Very clean, spacious room with a nice toilet and hot shower (modern toilet).
- free coffee and tea at pantry on ground floor.
- owners are a young couple who live in the building and manage the property. Mr Lui is friendly and helpful. He recommended us to a number of good eating places around the apartment and advised on how to get to Taroko Gorge, the beach to see sunset, etc
- supermarkets are nearby. We had good and reasonably priced Japanese food from the recommended list. Very happy!
- very quiet and the bed is very comfortable. As these are individual apartments (like a condo), the noise insulation from neighbours is very good.
- there is a small table and chair for the lady to make up. However if an additional table is placed in the room, it will allow travellers to place their food or bags on the table rather than on the floor.
- more hooks in the toilet will allow travellers to hook their clothes in the toilet.
- not sure if a microwave oven is in the pantry but if not it will be useful.
- no phone in the room so got to go downstairs to ask the reception if we have any questions.
- the apartment is 15 min away from the old city centre where the restaurants, night market and shops are. But we chose this apartment for the convenience as it is near the train and bus stations.