Travelled Feb 2020 for 4 nights, alone, returned home just yesterday!
I’m going to make this review as simple as possible...
- Beautiful clean bright hotel. Reception is stunning, rooms slightly more simple and dated in comparison but still so clean and comfortable.
- Probably the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in whilst in any European hotel, even if it was a twin rather than a double but this was expected.
- Pool View Rooms get sun pretty much all day.
- Breakfast is relaxed buffet style, plenty of choice, very tasty, breakfast staff are lovely, my only pick would be it could start slightly earlier though as 7:30am is pretty late when you have a morning flight home, I didn’t eat at the hotel at any time other than breakfast.
- Loads of British channels on the TV if that’s something that is important for you.
- Good pressure for shower, also had a bath although pretty small and uncomfortable I was still grateful for the option.
- Fabulous little kitchen area in the studio I had (Room 317) which you don’t normally get if you’re booked in for B&B, it normally only applies to rooms on a Self Catering basis so I have found with other hotels.
- Spa/indoor pool very clean and enjoyable, although small.
- Location is ideal, within walking distance to lots of pubs and restaurants (less than 5 minutes) and also the strip is slightly further afield but still within walking distance (15-20 minutes). Further afield again is Old Town but still well within walking distance if you don’t mind exploring (45-55 minutes, lovely walk).
- Santa Eulália beach is the closest beach and is around a 10-15 minute down hill walk.
CONS (Unfortunately there are a few):
- During my visit the outdoor pool was completely under refurbishment. Personally this is a big thing for me, February or not, I booked a Pool View Studio purposely for a nice pool view. What I got was the constant smell of strong paint, it was quite unbearable at times. Also quite often the work being carried out was very noisy. Although I may not have been physically using the pool anyway as the water would have been freezing in February, I do like to be able to sunbathe around the pool. Lastly NOT ONCE was I made aware of this prior to my holiday beginning by the hotel or On the Beach and I was still not advised of this when I arrived at the hotel and NOT ONCE did one member of staff even shed any light on this, mention it or apologise for it, no signs even explaining this, you just had to work this out yourself when you seen a hole in the ground with no water and warning tape all around it :/
- You have to pay €6 per day per person to use the spa and indoor pool facilities and if you are not already in possession of a swim cap you need to purchase one at spa reception to use the facilities which is a further €3.50. Not that big of a deal but you think they would have given you the opportunity to use such facilities for free during the time of the outdoor pool being refurbished :/
- Check in time is between 3-4pm, I get that this is advised and advertised but when you make the hotel fully aware that you are arriving early morning, considering check out time for previous guest is by 11am, you think there would be a quicker cleaning turn around than 4-5 hours minimum especially when the hotel is not at full or even half capacity during out of season :/
All in all like I said to reception staff as I checked out I was happy with my stay as the only problems are out of their control and down to management.
I personally wouldn’t stay at the hotel again even if it was in full swing during the summer season but this is not something particularly personally as upon exploring Portugal for the first time I became aware of so many areas that were more suited to my personal needs. But to make it more personal also, I would constantly have the worry about the hotel being under refurbishment and me not being aware, it would have taken 2 minutes to send me an email prior to arrival or even put it in the holiday adverts or hotel description at the booking stage.
Regardless Portugal is stunning, will definitely return, to the country :)
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC