We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

Hi all

My boyfriend and I have just booked our first ever long haul/connecting flights trip. After much reading on this site I think I have understood the following but wondered if more experienced travellers could verify or give any handy tips as it would put me at ease.

We are flying from the UK to Hawaii in October (Leeds-Bradford to LHR to LAX to Honolulu then Honolulu to Dallas FW to LHR to Leeds-Bradford). We have booked all flights on one booking via British Airways and I think I have ascertained the following:

1. We will not have to collect and re-check in hold baggage as the bags should track through to our final destination

2. We do not go through arrivals at any of the connecting airports but follow any "flight connection" signs

3. Scheduled arrival time at LHR Terminal 5 of 10.45 am to make connecting flight to LAX from Terminal 3 at 12.15 pm should be sufficient providing no significant delays to first flight

Our other layover times seem pretty sufficient i.e. nothing less than 4 hours.

Apologies if this is basic stuff but as I said, we are both new to this type of travel and want to be prepared!! Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
45,812 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

Leeds-Bradford to LHR to LAX to Honolulu

you check your bags at your home airport and then follow signs for flight connections at LHR as you menion

Then at LAX-- you deplane, clear immigration as this is your first POE into the US, collect bags and then pass through customs then look for the baggage transfer desk signs before you leave the secure area -- drop your bags off then look for signs to T4 or the American Airlines Terminal (is that what you are taking from LAX TO HNL) -- clear security and then walk to your gate

On the return you check bags at HNL at the American Airlines desk, then at DFW no bags need to be collected, you then clear immigration at LHR and then collect your bags at your home airport

This is assuming your international flights are on BA and domestic ones in the US are on AA

Edited: 11 January 2017, 16:51
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
57,834 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

Hi,

In the USA there are no "flight connection signs" for you.

On your arrival from the UK to LAX you will go through USA immigration. then wait for your checked luggage and take it through customs. You will then hand your luggage back and go through security again and walk to your next gate.

You should have about 3hrs between landing at LAX and your next flight to Hawaii.

On your way home to the UK there is NO outgoing immigration so you will just go through security in Hawaii and there they have an extra check for agricultural products( plants etc.) and no other checks until you get home. You won't see your luggage on your trip home.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

3. Scheduled arrival time at LHR Terminal 5 of 10.45 am to make connecting flight to LAX from Terminal 3 at 12.15 pm should be sufficient providing no significant delays to first flight.

==========

90 minutes is the minimum connection time (MCT) for a T5 to T3 connection. So that's tight. One thing you have in your favor is that you'll be arriving at a domestic gate in the main terminal at T5 which is close to the shuttle bus stop for T3, which can save 15 minutes. It should be fine but you'll have no time for dithering and you'll need to go directly to your boarding gate for the LAX flight.

Other connections of 4 hours plus are absolutely fine. We usually recommend 3 hours in the US when connecting from international, so you're comfortably over that.

Happy flying.

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

Thank you Belomiser, yes you are correct they are AA flights in US.

Thank you Riff M for the clarification.

I'm glad I asked!

Thanks again

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

Thanks US Business Traveller, we won't be complacent for this connection now!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
45,812 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights

happy to help . .now for the best part -- what to do on Oahu. (outside of touristy Waikiki beach of course ) The Oahu forum has some great people to help you.

Reply to: Air travel advice first time long haulers/connecting flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted